Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for subsonic load thoughts/ideas

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    .308, however is pretty fun because you can dope them out to a few hundred yards. I use 168 nosler CCs, 10.0 gr trailboss, and Large Rifle Mag primers. They stay sub out of my 20 inch bolt gun at my elevation... they start to go super out of Pappabear's 22" barrel.
    Admit it, you’re one step closer hopping on the 300BLK train.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Shoot! I'd love to. But my 12 twist won't stabilize them. Pappabear has some heavy, fat soft point bullets (210 or 220 gr?) that would be perfect, but they keyhole at a hundred out of my gun when loaded sub. They fly straight super however.
    Cool. Do you know what pappabears twist rate is? Mines a 24" bolt gun with 10 rot and I've been wanting dope for the 220's and preferably Norma 203b. (8lbs on hand)

Apologies for thread jack, but it's relevant.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    One thing I did in my 16" ruger scout rifle (.308) was buy some of the xTreme 150 flat point bullets and loaded them with Trail boss. They are very cheap (compared to most jacketed .308 bullets), and like Mark we could get the drops down out to 2-300. Shooting steel with them was a lot of fun, as they took their sweet time getting downrange. Total cost per round was around 15-18 cents not counting brass (and that lasted forever!).

Feedback Score
    Can you guys post some load data on the 308 subs? Like I said, I'm using a scar.....

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by matemike View Post
    Cool. Do you know what pappabears twist rate is?
    He has a 10 twist 22 or 24 inch FN bolt gun.

Quote Originally Posted by nate89 View Post
    One thing I did in my 16" ruger scout rifle (.308) was buy some of the xTreme 150 flat point bullets and loaded them with Trail boss. They are very cheap (compared to most jacketed .308 bullets),
    Thanks for the tip! You feel safe running those through a suppressor?
    Last edited by markm; 03-14-18 at 10:49.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    The come ups are huge compared to full power ammo, so it's like long range shooting inside of 300 yards.
    You just described the joys of shooting .22lr...

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    He has a 10 twist 22 or 24 inch FN bolt gun.

Thanks for the tip! You feel safe running those through a suppressor?
    Yeah, I shot a bit on our indoor range at paper/cardboard to make sure there was no bullet tumbling/keyholing. After that I put on my Sandman-S and didn't have any issues. The plating didn't come off because of the low velocity and the (I think) 1 in 10 twist stabilized them just fine. Very quiet as would be expected.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    You just described the joys of shooting .22lr...
    I like doing that too. It's been a while though.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Same here. I just love 22lr heavy subs suppressed inside 100 yards. Varmit fun fun. Like the OP, I'm hoping to find a 308 sub load for bigger ground engaging, edible, varmits though.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    For safety reasons here are some things to consider when developing a subsonic load...

- Suppressor is off during load development

- Work down from super sonic to subsonic

- A good, reliable chronograph is required to capture data and determine where your load velocities are at with each new reduced charge weight

- Place a large paper/cardboard target within 10 feet once you are dialing in you final loads to determine the stability of your sub load (Checking for Key holing) before you put the
    suppressor on. I also do initial load and accuracy development at 50 yds. Once confirmed I dial the loads in at my zero distance.

- Temperature will shift the range of velocities which keep your load in the super or subsonic range in summer vs. winter, for this reason I tend to develop my loads at a stable lower velocity around 1000 FPS instead of 1050 or a little higher that you may find with commercial subsonic ammunition.

- There are occasions where you can still detect a lesser "crack of the bullet" with subsonic ammunition even if your chrono has verified that load well within the subsonic velocity range - I don't remember all of the laws of physics to describe the why's intelligently any longer.
    Last edited by jethroUSMC; 03-16-18 at 05:28.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12