Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Draw speed improvement

Feedback Score

Draw speed improvement

Ive been stuck at right around 1.3s from an als, and 1.6-1.8 from concealment. This is buzzer to shot on a 3x5 at 7yds

Some limitations ive ID’s are :
    1. Speed- i just cant seem to move any faster and still get a good grip consistently
    2. Im using an rds. Im on the backer consistently as soon as i find the dot, but have to make minor adjustments to get on the 3x5. Is this expected, or do high level shooter(uspsa a-class and better) get sights on target instantly?

One last observation, If i went slow and focused on efficiency and smoothness, it only added around .2s to the time. Outside of focusing on efficiency and better target acquisition from the draw, any advice to push th times down?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Whats your holster type, retention, position, ride height, and cant? Concealment garments can change those times drastically depending on what it is, or how many layers your moving past.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Get someone to video record you in full speed and slow motion and look to see if you have any inefficiencies. Tilting when you don’t have to, etc...

I’ve caught myself doing the “hurry up lean” to the left to draw. I don’t have to do that but my mind says “go fast” and what ends up happening is I rush and add extra movement ultimately slowing me down. I recently did a drill working off the cue of another shooter and cut some wasted movement out and beat him to the draw even though he started first.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What is your starting position?

Are using a 'lift' or a 'punch out' draw?

Are you consciously driving your hand your hand to the pistol to ensure proper grip? With your OOTH1 times I have no doubt you are moving the hand to the pistol with a purpose, sometimes folks don't drive onto the pistol.

Have you ever videoed your draw and watched in slow or frame by frame, may pick up something.

1.3 isn't bad IMO.

Feedback Score
    You know, i used slow mo for recoil control and never thought to use it for the draw. Thank for the advice so far.

I do lean a little, as my current setup is too high(owb).
    I know the times arent “bad”, but ive hit a plateau and want to break it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Dry fire is your friend, especially with descending par times.

Do multiple shot drills so you don’t cheat your grip.

For AIWB, pick the length and fabric of your cover garment as if it is equipment.

Dividing your effort between two holster styles will dilute your progress.

Make sure your AIWB holster is high enough to not get interference between your knuckles and belt. Fuss with the position of your OWB holster.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've cut some time by practicing starting at the beginning of the "beep" rather than waiting for it to finish.
    I believe the beep lasts 2 or 3 tenths of a second.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Realistically, 1.3 with the ALS on that target is pretty dang good. If you are doing this consistently, you are well ahead of most. The big thing is if you do this on call, consistently, not the lucky one in 100. What's good is you are actually hitting a target vs. some who just shoot into a berm and say I have an "x" draw speed. Other than what you know and have been told, try relaxing and start on the tone, I find I move faster from a semi relaxed state vs. tense and "anticipating" the buzzer. Set the timer to random count down as well, helps with reaction. If you can, work with a buddy on "man on man" --going off others action to initiate the draw.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys.
    Yes, im consistent around 1.3. Id say 90% 1.25-1.35. If its more than that- its something major- like failed grip, failed release, etc- but ive been working on making obtaining a master grip #1 priority- which has actually helped a lit in consistency. I only use random start times 1-4s).

I just spent a week dedicated to acting at the start of the beep- i’ll continue to do so.
    Ive also continued dry-fire focused on getting an instant sight picture.

Again, thanks for the pointers, ill update after this weekend.

Feedback Score
    Alright- spent the week drawing at the mirror and “shooting” my image in the head(dry fire)- making a point to not move it to minimize excess movement. I also worked on grip consistency to have the dot more on target at the draw.
    Lastly, i switched to the Vogel style weak hand grip. I tried this with the m&p and it was terrible, but has proven beneficial with the glock. It gets my on target more consistently from the draw and seemed to tighten 25yd groups.

Went out today and had a few draws (from concealment, 7yds, 3x5 notecard) under 1.5, and about 80% under 1.6s. I only had one iver 1.7s

Definate improvement from last trip- so thanks all- ill update in a few weeks if i can chip away some more time. Apreciate the help, all.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 03-17-18 at 20:16. Reason: Wrong number

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast