Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draw speed improvement

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Draw speed improvement

Ive been stuck at right around 1.3s from an als, and 1.6-1.8 from concealment. This is buzzer to shot on a 3x5 at 7yds

Some limitations ive ID’s are :
    1. Speed- i just cant seem to move any faster and still get a good grip consistently
    2. Im using an rds. Im on the backer consistently as soon as i find the dot, but have to make minor adjustments to get on the 3x5. Is this expected, or do high level shooter(uspsa a-class and better) get sights on target instantly?

One last observation, If i went slow and focused on efficiency and smoothness, it only added around .2s to the time. Outside of focusing on efficiency and better target acquisition from the draw, any advice to push th times down?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Whats your holster type, retention, position, ride height, and cant? Concealment garments can change those times drastically depending on what it is, or how many layers your moving past.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Get someone to video record you in full speed and slow motion and look to see if you have any inefficiencies. Tilting when you don’t have to, etc...

I’ve caught myself doing the “hurry up lean” to the left to draw. I don’t have to do that but my mind says “go fast” and what ends up happening is I rush and add extra movement ultimately slowing me down. I recently did a drill working off the cue of another shooter and cut some wasted movement out and beat him to the draw even though he started first.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What is your starting position?

Are using a 'lift' or a 'punch out' draw?

Are you consciously driving your hand your hand to the pistol to ensure proper grip? With your OOTH1 times I have no doubt you are moving the hand to the pistol with a purpose, sometimes folks don't drive onto the pistol.

Have you ever videoed your draw and watched in slow or frame by frame, may pick up something.

1.3 isn't bad IMO.

Feedback Score
    You know, i used slow mo for recoil control and never thought to use it for the draw. Thank for the advice so far.

I do lean a little, as my current setup is too high(owb).
    I know the times arent “bad”, but ive hit a plateau and want to break it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Dry fire is your friend, especially with descending par times.

Do multiple shot drills so you don’t cheat your grip.

For AIWB, pick the length and fabric of your cover garment as if it is equipment.

Dividing your effort between two holster styles will dilute your progress.

Make sure your AIWB holster is high enough to not get interference between your knuckles and belt. Fuss with the position of your OWB holster.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've cut some time by practicing starting at the beginning of the "beep" rather than waiting for it to finish.
    I believe the beep lasts 2 or 3 tenths of a second.

Feedback Score
    I just ordered a pocket pro 2 but have played around with the Android app options. "Splits" was the best by far imo if you want something to mess around on, but the real thing is obviously better

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post

2. Im using an rds. Im on the backer consistently as soon as i find the dot, but have to make minor adjustments to get on the 3x5. Is this expected, or do high level shooter(uspsa a-class and better) get sights on target instantly?
    What you're describing is what I (and others) call "index".

Meaning the ability to look at a very specific point and have the sights appear in alignment or your dot appear on that very specific point.

A refined index is the kinesthetic marriage of a solid, repeatable grip and vision; honed through repetition.

Dry fire is the answer, and I would use 3x5 cards arranged along a wall at various distances. Practice target transitions in addition to draws, that will help.

Do not accept "anywhere on the card" as a parameter. Focus your vision and your mind on the dead center of the card.

As far as the mechanics of the draw itself, I like to visualize the exact spot my hand needs to grab the gun while I'm waiting on the beep. I feel like there is a magnet on the dead center of the beavertail and another magnet embedded in the web of my thumb. Your grip should be the exact same every time. A variance of even a mm on the grip is going to result in the dot being out of alignment when you present to target.

Good luck! Draws are something that require a lot of volume to really nail down.
    Last edited by wtturn; 05-22-18 at 11:50.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wtturn View Post
    What you're describing is what I (and others) call "index".

Meaning the ability to look at a very specific point and have the sights appear in alignment or your dot appear on that very specific point.

A refined index is the kinesthetic marriage of a solid, repeatable grip and vision; honed through repetition.

Dry fire is the answer, and I would use 3x5 cards arranged along a wall at various distances. Practice target transitions in addition to draws, that will help.

Do not accept "anywhere on the card" as a parameter. Focus your vision and your mind on the dead center of the card.

As far as the mechanics of the draw itself, I like to visualize the exact spot my hand needs to grab the gun while I'm waiting on the beep. I feel like there is a magnet on the dead center of the beavertail and another magnet embedded in the web of my thumb. Your grip should be the exact same every time. A variance of even a mm on the grip is going to result in the dot being out of alignment when you present to target.

Good luck! Draws are something that require a lot of volume to really nail down.
    Good info, thanks- ill put it to use. I think ive been improving.
    I just got a trex ragnarock with midride and i can get a good grip without upper body movement now( other owm holster was too high). This is/was not an issue with iwb carry gear. Hope to get live fire this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
    What is your intended purpose? Fast accurate shots or winning a gun fight?

Your RDS may actually be slowing you down. At 7 yards, I don’t even see my sights for “gun fighting” shots. At most, I may pick up my front site post.

But, I’ll also start making hits after I rock my muzzle forward out of the holster. At smelling distance you can make good hits immediately and keep firing as you are pressing out. That’s why you’ll sometimes see training targets/people get “zippered”. The hits actually start coming early before a pressed-out two hand grip. Start making solid hits as soon as possible while bringing the gun up to win the fight.

Regardless, for whatever you are training for, push speed until your group opens up and then pull back a little until your group tightens back up and stay there until it becomes muscle memory. Then repeat.... repeatedly. Keep pushing until you reach “failure” and then ratchet back and you can incrementally increase your speed.
    I just want to improve. I can get a hits without sights at 7yds, but not on a 3x5 consistently. The target size distance dictates what sight picture i need. My index has improved to where the dot is more consistently on target now- been working on making sure the grip is perfect before drawing and slowing down slightly at the top of the daw- i was rushing too much and trying to stop the gun abruptly causing it to bounce around a bit during press out.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 05-23-18 at 06:47.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast