Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Draw speed improvement

Feedback Score
    Do you use a shot timer for dry-fire? If so, which one (I am looking for advice on what to buy rn)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've used several different types at work, for my personal use I've settled on Competition Electronics Pocket Pro II. You can set a random start 'beep' and then a par (stop) beep in .10 increments.

The thing with using a shot timer for practice is that you have to be disciplined enough to practice with form and not get sloppy trying to beat the timer.

As far as that goes, the same holds true of live-fire. I've seen some incredibly sloppy technique from folks trying to beat a buzzer.

'Fast follows Form.'

There are also phone apps you can use, I'm not familiar with them.

Feedback Score
    There was a surefire (i think)shot timer for samsung that picked up the dry fire. I cant find ine to work with my new apple phone, so i use a pocket proii with par times. I generally start at a comfortable time and work it down.

When trying different techniqes, it really separates what feels fast, from what is fast(er).
    Last edited by MegademiC; 03-19-18 at 10:48.

Feedback Score
    I just ordered a pocket pro 2 but have played around with the Android app options. "Splits" was the best by far imo if you want something to mess around on, but the real thing is obviously better

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post

2. Im using an rds. Im on the backer consistently as soon as i find the dot, but have to make minor adjustments to get on the 3x5. Is this expected, or do high level shooter(uspsa a-class and better) get sights on target instantly?
    What you're describing is what I (and others) call "index".

Meaning the ability to look at a very specific point and have the sights appear in alignment or your dot appear on that very specific point.

A refined index is the kinesthetic marriage of a solid, repeatable grip and vision; honed through repetition.

Dry fire is the answer, and I would use 3x5 cards arranged along a wall at various distances. Practice target transitions in addition to draws, that will help.

Do not accept "anywhere on the card" as a parameter. Focus your vision and your mind on the dead center of the card.

As far as the mechanics of the draw itself, I like to visualize the exact spot my hand needs to grab the gun while I'm waiting on the beep. I feel like there is a magnet on the dead center of the beavertail and another magnet embedded in the web of my thumb. Your grip should be the exact same every time. A variance of even a mm on the grip is going to result in the dot being out of alignment when you present to target.

Good luck! Draws are something that require a lot of volume to really nail down.
    Last edited by wtturn; 05-22-18 at 11:50.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What is your intended purpose? Fast accurate shots or winning a gun fight?

Your RDS may actually be slowing you down. At 7 yards, I don’t even see my sights for “gun fighting” shots. At most, I may pick up my front site post.

But, I’ll also start making hits after I rock my muzzle forward out of the holster. At smelling distance you can make good hits immediately and keep firing as you are pressing out. That’s why you’ll sometimes see training targets/people get “zippered”. The hits actually start coming early before a pressed-out two hand grip. Start making solid hits as soon as possible while bringing the gun up to win the fight.

Regardless, for whatever you are training for, push speed until your group opens up and then pull back a little until your group tightens back up and stay there until it becomes muscle memory. Then repeat.... repeatedly. Keep pushing until you reach “failure” and then ratchet back and you can incrementally increase your speed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wtturn View Post
    What you're describing is what I (and others) call "index".

Meaning the ability to look at a very specific point and have the sights appear in alignment or your dot appear on that very specific point.

A refined index is the kinesthetic marriage of a solid, repeatable grip and vision; honed through repetition.

Dry fire is the answer, and I would use 3x5 cards arranged along a wall at various distances. Practice target transitions in addition to draws, that will help.

Do not accept "anywhere on the card" as a parameter. Focus your vision and your mind on the dead center of the card.

As far as the mechanics of the draw itself, I like to visualize the exact spot my hand needs to grab the gun while I'm waiting on the beep. I feel like there is a magnet on the dead center of the beavertail and another magnet embedded in the web of my thumb. Your grip should be the exact same every time. A variance of even a mm on the grip is going to result in the dot being out of alignment when you present to target.

Good luck! Draws are something that require a lot of volume to really nail down.
    Good info, thanks- ill put it to use. I think ive been improving.
    I just got a trex ragnarock with midride and i can get a good grip without upper body movement now( other owm holster was too high). This is/was not an issue with iwb carry gear. Hope to get live fire this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTick View Post

Your RDS may actually be slowing you down. At 7 yards, I don’t even see my sights for “gun fighting” shots. At most, I may pick up my front site post.

But, I’ll also start making hits after I rock my muzzle forward out of the holster. At smelling distance you can make good hits immediately and keep firing as you are pressing out. That’s why you’ll sometimes see training targets/people get “zippered”. The hits actually start coming early before a pressed-out two hand grip. Start making solid hits as soon as possible while bringing the gun up to win the fight.

Regardless, for whatever you are training for, push speed until your group opens up and then pull back a little until your group tightens back up and stay there until it becomes muscle memory. Then repeat.... repeatedly. Keep pushing until you reach “failure” and then ratchet back and you can incrementally increase your speed.
    I just want to improve. I can get a hits without sights at 7yds, but not on a 3x5 consistently. The target size distance dictates what sight picture i need. My index has improved to where the dot is more consistently on target now- been working on making sure the grip is perfect before drawing and slowing down slightly at the top of the daw- i was rushing too much and trying to stop the gun abruptly causing it to bounce around a bit during press out.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 05-23-18 at 06:47.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
    You realize those are one and the same?

What about 25 yards? Do you test yourself at distance? Or moving? Or in any scenario which may require a high degree of accuracy?

I say if you can hit a very small target up close, you are more likely to be able to get effective hits at distance or under stress.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’m no faster than you, but here are some sources that helped me break my last plateu, and I’m still improving.

http://www.tierthreetactical.com/per...tical-shooter/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RofRaoY9BI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRLhixh4WhQ

In addition to dry fire with a weapon, I also integrate 50-100 draw reps during most range sessions. Draw from random beep and fire 1, 2, or 3 shots, 7 yds, IDPA target. Starting this morning, I’ve also integrated an airsoft analog into my practice for draw-1 shot, and other 1 shot drils, mostly involving movement. Not sure yet if it will help.
    Last edited by 1168; 05-23-18 at 12:03. Reason: Link

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I’m no faster than you, but here are some sources that helped me break my last plateu, and I’m still improving.

http://www.tierthreetactical.com/per...tical-shooter/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RofRaoY9BI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRLhixh4WhQ

In addition to dry fire with a weapon, I also integrate 50-100 draw reps during most range sessions. Draw from random beep and fire 1, 2, or 3 shots, 7 yds, IDPA target. Starting this morning, I’ve also integrated an airsoft analog into my practice for draw-1 shot, and other 1 shot drils, mostly involving movement. Not sure yet if it will help.
    Thanks, ill check these out later.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast