Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Draw speed improvement

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wtturn View Post
    You realize those are one and the same?

What about 25 yards? Do you test yourself at distance? Or moving? Or in any scenario which may require a high degree of accuracy?

I say if you can hit a very small target up close, you are more likely to be able to get effective hits at distance or under stress.
    Not to over-derail, but I respectfully disagree...

They are sometimes the same, but most definitely not always.

If I roll out of my holster and start rapidly getting hits and keep firing while going through my punch out before eventually settling on repeated rounds into the high chest and, at most, take the time to acquire my front sight post, then I believe that I am at a distinct advantage in a gunfight over someone who doesn't begin to pull the trigger until they settle their sights on my chest. Are my belly and zippering shots "accurate" in any way other than just getting initial hits? Most would say, "no"(me included). But, you better believe they are effective and greatly play into the outcome. Obviously, those initial shots come well within the time it would take to go from holster to full punch out to then trigger pulling.

That was the intent of my question: what are you practicing for and is your practice increasing your chances of success in that purpose? Not that there is anything at all wrong with whichever you are into, but (*** in my opinion ***) there is (usually) an enormous difference between target shooting and gun fighting and the training methods that lead to success in either.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wtturn View Post
    You realize those are one and the same?
    Thank you for saying this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
    Not to over-derail, but I respectfully disagree...

They are sometimes the same, but most definitely not always.

If I roll out of my holster and start rapidly getting hits and keep firing while going through my punch out before eventually settling on repeated rounds into the high chest and, at most, take the time to acquire my front sight post, then I believe that I am at a distinct advantage in a gunfight over someone who doesn't begin to pull the trigger until they settle their sights on my chest. Are my belly and zippering shots "accurate" in any way other than just getting initial hits? Most would say, "no"(me included). But, you better believe they are effective and greatly play into the outcome. Obviously, those initial shots come well within the time it would take to go from holster to full punch out to then trigger pulling.

That was the intent of my question: what are you practicing for and is your practice increasing your chances of success in that purpose? Not that there is anything at all wrong with whichever you are into, but (*** in my opinion ***) there is (usually) an enormous difference between target shooting and gun fighting and the training methods that lead to success in either.
    For the purposes of this thread, we are discussing static sighted shots- on a 3x5 notecard at 7 yds.
    I cycle my training and expect improvements to transfer over to contact distance shots as well.

I definately need to work on the hand to gun and obtaining grip speed. Watching top shooters, they are about 2x faster getting the gun out of the holster- performance gap is much less from that point on.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hopetonbrown View Post
    Thank you for saying this.
    Alright... do I get credit for making the statement that got him to say it? I made my original post, most likely based on my lack of reading comprehendion and/or intelligence, but i was just trying to clarify the OP’s purpose. I stated my case and where I’m coming from with it. You may not be on board with it, but to each his own. My intent was to see if it was something that i could lend a useful opinion to. I’ve been to a few smelling distance shootings and they were always a barrel of laughs.

Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    For the purposes of this thread, we are discussing static sighted shots- on a 3x5 notecard at 7 yds.
    I cycle my training and expect improvements to transfer over to contact distance shots as well.

I definately need to work on the hand to gun and obtaining grip speed. Watching top shooters, they are about 2x faster getting the gun out of the holster- performance gap is much less from that point on.
    Solid copy.

My apologies for the thread drift, I hope I properly conveyed my point and it made sense at least.

I would still wonder if your RDS is actually slowing down your initial shot. In my personal experience, RDSs don’t overtake irons in speed until further out than 7 yards.

Anywhoodle, back to reading and basically never posting since this went over like a wet fart in church anyways.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
    Alright... do I get credit for making the statement that got him to say it? I made my original post, most likely based on my lack of reading comprehendion and/or intelligence, but i was just trying to clarify the OP’s purpose. I stated my case and where I’m coming from with it. You may not be on board with it, but to each his own. My intent was to see if it was something that i could lend a useful opinion to. I’ve been to a few smelling distance shootings and they were always a barrel of laughs.

Solid copy.

My apologies for the thread drift, I hope I properly conveyed my point and it made sense at least.

I would still wonder if your RDS is actually slowing down your initial shot.
    Its not- im faster now than i ever was with better hit%
    In my personal experience, RDSs don’t overtake irons in speed until further out than 7 yards.
    On what size target? On a 1” circle, rds is faster for me. On an ipsc target im ignoring sights so they would be the same.

Anywhoodle, back to reading and basically never posting since this went over like a wet fart in church anyways.
    No worries.
    My comments in orange

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123