Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cor-Bon 9mm Luger +P 115gr DPX in Gel!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Cor-Bon 9mm Luger +P 115gr DPX in Gel!

Good evening!

Last week I tried the Cor-Bon 115 grain DPX in organic gel. I fired 2 rounds through FBI spec heavy clothing and two rounds through laminated auto glass followed with a light clothing barrier.

Distances from the muzzle was 10 feet for gel and clothing and 10 feet from the windshield for the glass test. The block was placed 18 in behind the glass. Firearm used was a Ruger Officer's Model with a 3.6 in barrel.

First up, Chrono data:
    Average: 1081.60
    StdDev: 11.59
    Min: 1064
    Max: 1094
    Spread: 30
    True MV: 1082.83

Only three bullets were caught. The first round through auto glass exited out the top of the block.

Note the slice visible in the top of the block that ends at close to 12 inches. This is the track from the first bullet through glass. A search of the immediate area to locate the bullet was unsuccessful.

The two bullets through clothing poked to just over a foot. The captured bullet through glass can be seen there at about 11.5 inches.

Here are the bullets fired through clothing. Note the auto glass bullet there at probably 11.5 inches.

Recovered weights.

Auto glass first.

Heavy clothing.

Recovered diameters.

An overall of the three bullets.

As is probably expected given the recorded muzzle velocity, this is a mild load and was quite soft when fired from the little Ruger.

I was curious about this load's potential from a longer barrel so today I tried the Cor-Bon in my SIG P320 X5. This pistol has a 5" barrel so I was curious to see what the longer tube did for overall performance.

Muzzle velocity is better--1150fps or so--from the full-size barrel but still quite a bit under the advertised 1250fps.

Penetration is better, too. Two bullets fired through heavy clothing gave 13.75 and 14.5" in gel.

Overall, probably not a bad load. It is billed as "+P" likely due to the chamber pressure rather than the velocity. As a result, the load is comfortable to shoot and would probably make a decent carry load.

What a quick way to blow about $25! But I enjoy it.

Bullets pulled from gel show 100% weight retention as was expected.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for taking the time to do this review! I recently saw this ammo, and was thinking about buying some, but was kind of on the fence. Haven’t come across any tests of it like you’ve done here. So, you think it’s worth it? Or spend my money elsewhere?

Feedback Score
    Great testing, these bullets are great performers and expand nicely, it's a great carry option...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmedic_ View Post
    So, you think it’s worth it? Or spend my money elsewhere?
    Maybe.

Cor-Bob has a spotty reputation for quality control. While the ammo appeared to work fine in this one instance I'd probably want to get several boxes to blast away before making the decision to carry. But I suppose that's true with any ammo.

Former Cor-Bon owner/president Peter Pi recently sold the business and has moved on to relaunch the Super Vel name. We'll have to wait and see what happens to Cor-Bon with him gone. Cue my best Ren voice:

"Maybe something good. Maybe something bad...."

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 03-13-18 at 17:56.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Maybe.

Cor-Bob has a spotty reputation for quality control. While the ammo appeared to work fine in this one instance I'd probably want to get several boxes to blast away before making the decision to carry. But I suppose that's true with any ammo.

Former Cor-Bon owner/president Peter Pi recently sold the business and has moved on to relaunch the Super Vel name. We'll have to wait and see what happens to Cor-Bon with him gone. Cue my best Ren voice:

Cor-Bon 9mm 115 grain +p was the go-to 9mm in the late 80s and early 90s and was all I carried back then. I never had an issue and it shot fantastic out of my 3rd generation S&W. But, it’s been well over 20 years since I bought and used that load.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    I never had an issue and it shot fantastic out of my 3rd generation S&W. But, it’s been well over 20 years since I bought and used that load.
    I have little experience with Cor-Bon but that experience has been positive. However, I have read about some quality control problems. Usually loose bullets and/or insufficient crimp.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Cor-Bon 9mm 115 grain +p was the go-to 9mm in the late 80s and early 90s and was all I carried back then. I never had an issue and it shot fantastic out of my 3rd generation S&W. But, it’s been well over 20 years since I bought and used that load.
    If it was popular in the 80s that would explain why I hadn’t heard of it until recently, as I hadn’t even been born yet 😄. Glad to hear it served you well, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Maybe.

Man, now that’s a cartoon I’ve not seen in a while! I’m all for taking risks, so I may just end up snagging some up, who knows, maybe my G19.5 will fall in love with it, more than the 124gr GD’s I carry now.

Feedback Score
    Was just going to post this! They were using Sierra JHP's back then at 1300+fps velocities.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 03-14-18 at 19:09.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Was just going to post this! They were using Sierra JHP's back then at 1300+fps velocities.
    Yes, 1350 fps. Masad Ayoob was a big influence on me then and he was a big proponent of that round. You know, hydrostatic shock and all that.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    Yes, 1350 fps. Masad Ayoob was a big influence on me then and he was a big proponent of that round. You know, hydrostatic shock and all that.
    There's no hydrostatic shock at pistol velocities unless the round is going over 2000 fps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast