Thread: 5.56 round with lowest expansion velocity threshold?

Feedback Score

5.56 round with lowest expansion velocity threshold?

The lowest that I've found in my limited research is the Barnes 70 gr TSX which expands down to 1800 FPS, which means it would be good out to 370 yards with a 16" barrel. I seem to recall Lehigh Defense claiming that their Controlled Chaos Copper bullets would work as advertised at an even lower threshold....

What's the lowest claimed expansion threshold you've seen or witnessed? Seems like that would be the true winner.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I've heard of 62gr Fusion down to 1600ish. That said, I would true your own BC's for that bullet before you go estimating how far you think you can shoot it and still expect expansion.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The lowest expansion floor might not be the best criteria to choose a bullet depending on your needs. For example the 70gr TSX has a pretty low expansion floor but it also sheds petals going through barriers, thats why they made the more robust 50gr TSX optimized with a 2300 fps expansion floor.

The Gold Dot/Fusion bullets also expand at low velocity but tend to shed petals even in plain gel if pushed too fast, one of the reasons why Speer loads are somewhat anemic.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 08-17-18 at 06:13.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    The lowest expansion floor might not be the best criteria to choose a bullet depending on your needs. For example the 70gr TSX has a pretty low expansion floor but it also sheds petals going through barriers, thats why they made the more robust 50gr TSX optimized with a 2300 fps expansion floor.

The Gold Dot/Fusion bullets also expand at low velocity but tend to shed petals even in plain gel if pushed too fast, one of the reasons why Speer loads are somewhat anemic.
    I think that the 150-200 yard increased expansion range of the 70 TSX over the BH 50 TSX makes up for its petal shedding (from what I’ve read that only occurs through auto glass, not all barriers). It should expand out to 355 yards with a 14.5” barrel, that’s hard to beat. And even if it shed petals, due to its construction it would still penetrate and make contact. But if I was only taking shots 100 yards and in I would obviously choose the BH load.

Feedback Score
    I think it would be a 45-55 gr JSP.

Followed by one of the 45-55 gr ballistic tipped bullets.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    77gr tmk performs well past 500.