Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Why not more DI guns?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    The barrel components are measured and sorted into bins according to the size of the ID of each individual component. When they build them they go by those codes and only use the parts from the pre-sorted bin corresponding to the barrel journal diameter codes.
    You say that like it's a good thing. If they could control their processes, they would be manufactured the size they needed to be. There would be only one bin.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    You say that like it's a good thing. If they could control their processes, they would be manufactured the size they needed to be. There would be only one bin.
    We could start a whole new thread covering this kind of stuff. To answer your question, the barrel journal code system is left over from the cold war era. A lot of the issues were due to cast components or milled components requiring hand fitting etc. No different than other weapons at the time say Colt 1911's, S&W revolvers, Springfield M1A's, FN FAL's produced up through the 80's where each part was somewhat hand fitted during final assembly so to speak. Now days just like all other big name manufacturers their processes are all automated. Western technology has excelled at producing rifles that have ease of component swap due to wear while the Russians built a rifle that lasted for a really long time. I personally think there should be something in-between, a rifle purpose built for durability, longevity but also allowing for ease of component swap. Basically, all components in the weapon except for perhaps springs- should last at least as long as the barrel itself if not longer.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-21-18 at 10:02.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I personally think there should be something in-between, a rifle purpose built for durability, longevity but also allowing for ease of component swap. Basically, all components in the weapon except for perhaps springs- should last at least as long as the barrel itself if not longer.
    The SCAR16/SCAR-L fits these parameters. The bolt in the 16/L is significantly larger than other multi lug designs; very over engineered.

While not as easy a barrel swap as a AR or SCAR, the SIG 55x series also fits these parameters and barrel swaps are straight forward once you have the right tools and knowledge.

7n6, I’m surprised a dedicated AK guy like you has yet to warm up to the SIG 551/553. It’s a Swiss AK with better ergonomics, optics mounting capabilities, etc than the AK. Just bite the bullet and buy a 553, you’ll be happy you did.

71150D34-9123-4FC8-88AA-EBD92461F0B3.jpg
    Last edited by JoshNC; 04-21-18 at 11:33.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    The SCAR16/SCAR-L fits these parameters. The bolt in the 16/L is significantly larger than other multi lug designs; very over engineered.

While not as easy a barrel swap as a AR or SCAR, the SIG 55x series also fits these parameters and barrel swaps are straight forward once you have the right tools and knowledge.

7n6, I’m surprised a dedicated AK guy like you has yet to warm up to the SIG 551/553. It’s a Swiss AK with better ergonomics, optics mounting capabilities, etc than the AK. Just bite the bullet and buy a 553, you’ll be happy you did.

71150D34-9123-4FC8-88AA-EBD92461F0B3.jpg

The SCAR could have been the be all end all of AR18 refinement but they dropped the ball hard in the durability aspects- which is why I sold off my SCAR's. As far as SIG 55X rifles go, I already own 5.56 AK variants so I don't need any additional ones. At least my current 5.56 AK's share about a 90% parts compatibility with standard AKM's/74's. If I truly want ergonomic for range duty or HD, I'll just use my AR's. However if SHTF tomorrow then I'd grab one of my 5.56 AK's or an AUG instead. I dream of consolidating to maybe one type of rifle and handgun but the perfect combo has yet to exist. Though overall, an AUG and Glock is about close as we've come so far.

Here's one of my little SHTF 5.56 rifles.

Attachment 51670

7n6
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-21-18 at 14:37.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    The SCAR could have been the be all end all of AR18 refinement but they dropped the ball hard in the durability aspects- which is why I sold off my SCAR's. As far as SIG 55X rifles go, I already own 5.56 AK variants so I don't need any additional ones. At least my current 5.56 AK's share about a 90% parts compatibility with standard AKM's/74's. If I truly want ergonomic for range duty or HD, I'll just use my AR's. However if SHTF tomorrow then I'd grab one of my 5.56 AK's or an AUG instead. I dream of consolidating to maybe one type of rifle and handgun but the perfect combo has yet to exist. Though overall, an AUG and Glock is about close as we've come so far.

Not if you're shooting the gun. Battlefield Vegas has, what? Over a million rounds on one and they've only had a couple of part break? Compared to AKs where they've had to scrap receivers or weld them back up?
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    Not if you're shooting the gun. Battlefield Vegas has, what? Over a million rounds on one and they've only had a couple of part break? Compared to AKs where they've had to scrap receivers or weld them back up?
    I'm talking about structural durability- drop test. I don't like the SCAR much given what I know but for someone else it might be a fine rifle. However as I've mentioned, I personally believe the AR18 derivatives to be the future of weapons development.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-21-18 at 17:03.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Attachment 51670

7n6
    I disagree re: durability of the 5.56 SCAR. 308 SCAR, your assessment is valid.

I too love the AUG. I could easily make it my one and only 5.56 rifle.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    I disagree re: durability of the 5.56 SCAR.

Wasn't aware that the 5.56 SCAR performed better than the 7.62NATO version for drop tests. I watched a video of the non-scientific Peruvian military trials of the SCAR 17 version which was rendered inoperable after a drop test of only eight feet onto concrete. In my personal opinion, the design seems like it could benefit from further development to make it more robust so I sold mine off. I now have FN Para 50.63's instead.

7n6
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-21-18 at 19:32.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910