Thread: A tale of 3 front sight changes

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

A tale of 3 front sight changes

Ive told everyone that I am a self professed Springfield Armory 1911 fanboy. History and experience made me so. But I cannot begin to share my disgust with their night sights. At 56 , I can barely see the front sights. The rear NS are immaterial to me because it appears more a total black sight, which I like. I can make out a bit of silver spots but I can use them as is.

So I change the front sights. Well actually my first TRP, maybe 10 years ago, I put on Trijicon HD's NS's with bright orange front circle sight. I like those pretty good.

I bought a SA Pro gun and was reluctant to change those sights. Bought a SA Lipsey edition 9mm with FO front sight. Don't like those so I bought a Novak's front sight and white circle. My Riflesmith, key word here, RIFLE smith popped the front sight in no problem, I love it! So I did the same thing for my SA Pro. Perfect loved it.

I Pick up a SS TRP, buy another Novak. When we remove the front factory sight, we notice its pinned, unlike the Pro or Lipsey Operator. Kinda strange. So we punch out the pin and it just slips right out. The Novak has pin but it doesn't line up to the TRP hole. My Riflesmith tries to shim it and this and that, no go.

Anyone know what front sights work with the pinned TRP fronts? Strange two SA other guns are totally different .

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 03-12-18 at 18:45.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Sounds like a job for Novak or Springfield.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Any front sight, with the proper dovetail (read that- enough meat) will work PB.
    The pin is gilding the Lily.
    All you need to properly fit a FS is; patience, heavy brass/nylon drift, hammer, a good triangle file, Red Loctite and patience.

I use Dawson FS's- Dave's a good guy and he has well thought out products IMO.
    He offers Tritium sights in addition to everything else.
    One upside of his shop is willingness to make a FS a whatever width/thickness and height you need for a modest upcharge- IF his stock items won't work for you.
    I've found a lot of fixed rear guns will NOT shot right on top of FS with "stock" height FS's. I've had a bunch made to my spec's in terms of height.

Here's his tutorial on FS installation.
    It's a bit long, perhaps overkill- but if you watch it you'll come away with a pretty clear understanding of the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do8sHBDfIGk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Any front sight, with the proper dovetail (read that- enough meat) will work PB.
    The pin is gilding the Lily.
    All you need to properly fit a FS is; patience, heavy brass/nylon drift, hammer, a good triangle file, Red Loctite and patience.

I use Dawson FS's- Dave's a good guy and he has well thought out products IMO.
    He offers Tritium sights in addition to everything else.
    One upside of his shop is willingness to make a FS a whatever width/thickness and height you need for a modest upcharge- IF his stock items won't work for you.
    I've found a lot of fixed rear guns will NOT shot right on top of FS with "stock" height FS's. I've had a bunch made to my spec's in terms of height.

Here's his tutorial on FS installation.
    It's a bit long, perhaps overkill- but if you watch it you'll come away with a pretty clear understanding of the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do8sHBDfIGk
    Thanks. I have a 1911 guy in town, its just he is 45 minutes away but I am lazy and my guy was 2/3 with this approach. I have used Dawson in the past and their CS was awesome. Ill let a real 1911 gunsmith fix my shortcut. I just wondered if the TRP was SA goofy for some reason. And I think it is.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"