Thread: New Colt 6720.....Exposed forward assist pin..... Problem?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

New Colt 6720.....Exposed forward assist pin..... Problem?

Is this a problem? And how do I fix it?

Bought two new Colt 6720's

3/32 Punch?

Last edited by 30in1; 03-25-18 at 17:35.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Not an issue, just was driven in a little far. You can punch it back in. I have a set of roll pin punches from Lyman that work well for it. Not sure of size off the top of my head.

It simply holds the forward assist in. Don’t think the forward assist stops on it when pressing the forward assist in. Think the FA stops on the upper without the bolt carrier in it and on the bolt carrier when in the rifle. So it has no real stress on it either.
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 03-25-18 at 17:56.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I agree, not much pressure. The pin retains the FA against the spring pressure of the FA spring. There is constant spring pressure holding the FA against the pin, and I suppose the potential of a small 'snap' back against the pin depending on how the FA is released.

OP, is that a solid pin or a roll pin?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's a roll pin.... From what I can find it need a 3/32 roll pin Punch........ But I'm new to this.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 30in1 View Post
    It's a roll pin.... From what I can find it need a 3/32 roll pin Punch........ But I'm new to this.
    It isn’t going to walk out either, you will have to give it some decent taps to knock it back down.

So unless you find it snagging on something or tearing your hand up, it is just cosmetic at this point.