Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What went wrong w/ this RE?

Feedback Score

What went wrong w/ this RE?

Hey guys,

I got an email back from LaRue regarding my old buffer tube which started wobbling side to side and was canted even though I installed it square. LaRue said it was install error: "the end plate would have had to be in an incorrect position while the castle nut was tightened." I don't have enough experience to know if it was or not. I may be stupid, but I thought the end plate only fit the one way. Anyway, I used the standard Magpul Wrench + the Reaction Block from Geissele. Watched videos on what to do and everything went smooth so I thought.

Let me know what you all think and how I can avoid this issue w/ the new SOLGW tube (very quick shipping from Kyle btw)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Make sure the end plate is flush and push up on the endplate so the "key" is engaged fully. Make sure you do not over torque. Stake the endplate at one of the notches on the back side of the castle nut when done.

Feedback Score
    215 (100%)
    Is it possible the end plate was installed backwards?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Wobbling side to side makes me think of a loose castle nut. Did you stake it after installation?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by officerX View Post
    Wobbling side to side makes me think of a loose castle nut. Did you stake it after installation?
    Yeah, it was torqued and staked. It took effort to loosen the castle nut. The "wobble" was so very slight. The main thing I noticed was the RE cant which didn't make sense to me because I installed it square.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Either something was wrong with the tube (or lower) or it was not installed correctly. Without checking the components and looking at it, it's pretty much all speculation.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Yes I have had this happen to me before. It was due to over torquing the castle nut. This causes the notch on the end plate to damage the threads.

I noticed that the stock on that build was pretty canted one day and decided to try to realign it. Every time I tightened the end plate it canted. I pulled the receiver extensions and it look exactly haw your does in that picture.
    Last edited by Mustang31; 03-13-18 at 06:08.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I’ve seen tubesthat were messed up like that. Usually not loose but looked as if they had turned or were clocked wrong. It seems that either poor quality buffer tubes or end plates were to blame. Some end plates have shorter tabs and cheaper tubes seem to be very soft. Torque spec in the Colt manual states 40 ftlbs for the castle nut, but damn, that’s awfully tight.
    Last edited by hk_shootr; 03-13-18 at 06:37.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hk_shootr View Post
    I’ve seen tubesthat were messed up like that. Usually not loose but looked as if they had turned or were clocked wrong. It seems that either poor quality buffer tubes or end plates were to blame. Some end plates have shorter tabs and cheaper tubes seem to be very soft. Torque spec in the Colt manual states 40 ftlbs for the castle nut, but damn, that’s awfully tight.
    Plus one on that torque spec. On the other hand 40 inch pounds seems a little light. I just torque mine 'city-boy' - versus 'farm-boy' - tight and stake.

The LaRue tube and end plate furnished with my kit were seemingly high quality and went together with no problem. It would be interesting to know if the OP used the LaRue end plate.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Either something was wrong with the tube (or lower) or it was not installed correctly. Without checking the components and looking at it, it's pretty much all speculation.
    I was using the LaRue tube, Aero Lower, Larue supplied castle nut (which we had determined in another post was not mil-spec), and the IWC QD Plate - which is nitride steel and tough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast