Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What went wrong w/ this RE?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang31 View Post
    Yes I have had this happen to me before. It was due to over torquing the castle nut. This causes the notch on the end plate to damage the threads.

I noticed that the stock on that build was pretty canted one day and decided to try to realign it. Every time I tightened the end plate it canted. I pulled the receiver extensions and it look exactly haw your does in that picture.
    Well, I was using a torque wrench so idk.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Plus one on that torque spec. On the other hand 40 inch pounds seems a little light. I just torque mine 'city-boy' - versus 'farm-boy' - tight and stake.

The LaRue tube and end plate furnished with my kit were seemingly high quality and went together with no problem. It would be interesting to know if the OP used the LaRue end plate.
    My LaRue tube seemed high enough quality to me, as it should be for the price. The threads are cut and not rolled and LaRue clearly throws in a lathe. I did not use the LaRue end plate, I used IWC.

Feedback Score
    If it was installation error, any guesses for how I installed it incorrectly?

My procedure was to index the tube to the buffer retainer/ align the end plate, and then hand tighten the castle nut. Using the G Reaction Block slide the wrench between the buffer tube and the block, tighten the retaining screws, and then using thr torque wrench, tighten the castle nut to 40 lbs.

I guess I am just trying to avoid this same issue with the new tube as I am still pissed I wasted $55 on the last one. Fml.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post

My procedure was to index the tube to the buffer retainer/ align the end plate, and then hand tighten the castle nut. Using the G Reaction Block slide the wrench between the buffer tube and the block, tighten the retaining screws, and then using thr torque wrench, tighten the castle nut to 40 lbs.

I guess I am just trying to avoid this same issue with the new tube as I am still pissed I wasted $55 on the last one. Fml.
    Either the tube or receiver is moving when you are tightening the castle nut. Lock both down, then start tightening.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post

I still think it’s more about the components. I have seen many end plates that were rather loose on buffer tubes when assembling before installation. Some end plates just seem to have a very short tab that indexes the buffer tube.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12