Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: National School Walkout 03/14/2018 thoughts, concerns, news

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    Nobody carries a notebook and an ink pen anymore either, but I still have one with me all the time.
    Cursive has become a near indesipherable code now for anyone under thirty.
    Years ago they had the alphabet above the chalkboard in cursive as we learned it.
    We were taught cursive writing in the first grade and I remember fondly the alphabet in cursive above our classroom's chalk board.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Who here had penmanship as a subject in grade school?

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grnamin View Post
    Who here had penmanship as a subject in grade school?

I did... I'm "old".
    Our Liberties we prize and our Rights we will defend.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by R6436 View Post
    I did... I'm "old".
    Same here.

Feedback Score
    To clarify, I was not so much speaking about knowing cursive as being important because of beautiful, flowing penmanship.

It’s importance is writing fast. I find it unlikely that anyone can print faster than cursive. It becomes a rapid, shorthand like tool. That you can read later. And maybe other people if needed, but the primary importance is you.

I go to work.
    Reading fast is extremely important to me. I may be looking at stuff on a computer or dozens of pages handed to me. Getting important information fast is important. Yet many in our current society look at reading, let alone reading well with disdain. The reality is, people that move their lips reading silently, at a pace slower than someone can read out loud, let alone those that are functionally illiterate, are at the mercy of a lottery ticket or an inheritance or some other stroke of luck from being relegated to a fairly dismal portion of society.

I frequently have to write down pertinent information found on the computer, a presentation/ briefing, gleaned from papers I read fast, or verbally, telephonically, etc related to me. Printing, typing, etc. would slow me down a ton. Being able to rapidly write in cursive is an advantage. I know a lot of very educated, very intelligent, very accomplished individuals and am struggling to think of one that cannot or does not write in cursive. I mean, sure, they sometimes print notes, or dictate correspondence, and type Stuff in a computer, but they can and do write in cursive. Not being able to write in cursive is like not being able to actually type. Slow printers and slow typers seem at a disadvantage. Unless you were 100% in a setting environment where someone is doing all of your note taking, typing, or dictating.

I also do math several times a day. Sometimes in my head, sometimes scribbled out, sometimes on the HP15C emulator on my phone. (Reverse Polish Notation is to calculators what cursive is to printing). Nothing too complicated. But it just seems odd to me when people say they ain’t never used that stuff. Sure, I am not in a world anymore where people do high altitude jumps, need a helicopter to meet up with a moving ship, call in CAS, or lots of other exciting math in action.

Anyways, I have come to Associate reading fast, writing fast in cursive, knowing how to type, and needing math with bright, successful, highly functioning professionals. I go to work. I do what I do. Perhaps I am a dinosaur pending being eclipsed by people pecking pictographs on a screen.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    We were taught cursive writing in the first grade and I remember fondly the alphabet in cursive above our classroom's chalk board.
    Glad you mentioned chalk boards. My engineering undergrad son and double major biology/computer science with minor in chemistry daughter both often find themselves in classrooms with chalk boards or dry erase boards.

While surrounded on their respective campuses by classrooms full of dolts getting their education on oppression, racism, and other such topics in their often unemployable majors on “smart boards.”

The irony.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    Glad you mentioned chalk boards. My engineering undergrad son and double major biology/computer science with minor in chemistry daughter both often find themselves in classrooms with chalk boards or dry erase boards.

While surrounded on their respective campuses by classrooms full of dolts getting their education on oppression, racism, and other such topics in their often unemployable majors on “smart boards.”

The irony.

The best math teacher I ever had was a gentleman from Morocco. He could speak five languages fluently and we would have to remind him to speak English when he would go off on a tangent speaking strange tongues.

He gave every single student in his class a small dry erase board, he had a giant dry erase board on the four walls of his room, and every single student worked out every single problem on these boards together. Never had a teacher like him before or since, he would lecture while he would write with BOTH hands at the same time.

"In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    sometimes on the HP15C emulator on my phone. (Reverse Polish Notation is to calculators what cursive is to printing). Nothing too complicated. But it just seems odd to me when people say they ain’t never used that stuff.
    We probably need a thread on how TI subverted the teachers union and came to dominate the educational system with their poor excuse for a calc.

The HP 15C was the best made electronic device I own. (Along with my 16C).

Survive a 3m drop on to a tiled concrete floor from any angle, 100kv static zaps, millions of keypresses, etc. Golden era of HP.

Correlation not equaling causation and all that, but it appears to me kids started going wonky again when the green & black chalkboards went away. And the cursive letters with guidelines and arrows that hung above them.

Ok, I can't explain the college kids of the 60s, we'll blame that on lsd. And free love.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    The People's Cube is always spot-on with their take on things.

- Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score

The irony.
    I have 5 white boards in my office. I dont know how people get stuff done without them, haha.

Edit: back on topic, any updates or is it dying out?
    Last edited by MegademiC; 03-18-18 at 22:34.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast