Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: National School Walkout 03/14/2018 thoughts, concerns, news

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VARIABLE9 View Post
    Interesting turn of events:

Arkansas student says he was paddled for gun control walkout

They said yes, Greer said, and returned to class. The 17-year-old senior discovered he had a choice of discipline: two days of in-school suspension or two swats with a wooden paddle.
    Shades of Coach H - I got my last swats as a Senior coming out of the shower after a fight in PE class - that is some old school stuff there BZ.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Yup, I was in the second grade in '88 and that is when we started typing classes in the computer lab.

I have always been thankful for that. Probably one of the most useful things we were taught back then.
    Yep, to this day I regret not taking typing in school.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    Ummm
    Obviously knowing how to type is fine.
    I learned cursive in grade school and typing in middle school.
    But someone will be along to say typing is outdated, you need to learn tested.
    Or dictation. Basically all stuff requiring tech or space occupying stuff maybe not amenable to what you are doing.

The reality is, if you need to put down information fast you need cursive or some other form faster than printing.

Then again,
    Cursive was taught when grade school kids memorized multiplication tables, Latin, and did not graduate high school illiterate or college with math no higher than algebra,
    I never liked writing cursive when I was in school. Printing was just easier. And I got fast enough with it that I didn't have issues keeping up when taking notes, even when writing things verbatim. Of course, a lot of my printing closely resembled cursive by that point.

About six years ago, I made an effort to pick up cursive again. Mostly because I view writing with a pen and paper to be somewhat impractical, but if I'm going to do and and when I'm going to do it, I'm going to go for maximum artistic and archaic value. Down to the point where I actually pulled up How-Tos on cursive from the late 1800s, early 1900s (it hasn't changed much, but it has changed). So now, when I have the option to write with pen and paper, I write in cursive unless print is required (like on 4473s).

Nevertheless, I don't think that cursive is particularly fast. I find it easier to make mistakes - including spelling mistakes - when writing in cursive versus print, just because it gets so easy to go that I just keep going after the word has ended. The real trick to learning to write quickly is mastering shorthand. I believe there is a formal system of shorthand but if you're just writing for yourself, you can always develop your own shorthand (I believe that many journalists, historically, who did not have formal instruction on journalism often developed their own shorthand).
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    considering a majority of our history is written in cursive/script its a good idea to make sure our future can keep reading it
    sure many do not like learning doing lots of things

my brother used to collect fountain pens and knew a ton of history etc..

with old pens flow of ink and lifting and setting down the nib draws quite a bit more ink out so a continuous connection is better to have if the ball pen and thick non flowing ink was made first would it have changed the writing styles would be a interesting question

modern pens are not designed for cursive writing such as ball gel etc...
    you need a fountain pen or older dip style pen as the ink is totally dif of course and made to flow etc..

and most everyone here would have used a ball or pencil in school tools that do not do well writing cursive which is why also it sucks a bit like using the wrong tool on a car or gun etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    I never liked writing cursive when I was in school. Printing was just easier. And I got fast enough with it that I didn't have issues keeping up when taking notes, even when writing things verbatim. Of course, a lot of my printing closely resembled cursive by that point.

About six years ago, I made an effort to pick up cursive again. Mostly because I view writing with a pen and paper to be somewhat impractical, but if I'm going to do and and when I'm going to do it, I'm going to go for maximum artistic and archaic value. Down to the point where I actually pulled up How-Tos on cursive from the late 1800s, early 1900s (it hasn't changed much, but it has changed). So now, when I have the option to write with pen and paper, I write in cursive unless print is required (like on 4473s).

Nevertheless, I don't think that cursive is particularly fast. I find it easier to make mistakes - including spelling mistakes - when writing in cursive versus print, just because it gets so easy to go that I just keep going after the word has ended. The real trick to learning to write quickly is mastering shorthand. I believe there is a formal system of shorthand but if you're just writing for yourself, you can always develop your own shorthand (I believe that many journalists, historically, who did not have formal instruction on journalism often developed their own shorthand).
    if you are having fun with writing cursive get a decent fountain pen and see what ya think
    I just know this cause of my brother and mom brother a lawyer writer historian my mom antique dealer loves the art of writing did calligraphy etc..

I was surrounded by this stuff hahahaha

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Nobody carries a notebook and an ink pen anymore either, but I still have one with me all the time.
    Cursive has become a near indesipherable code now for anyone under thirty.
    Years ago they had the alphabet above the chalkboard in cursive as we learned it.
    Typing on an old school typewriter was an option Al class (elective) as a Freshman. I'm glad I took it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    We had to learn to use a fountain pen in school (the type with a bladder - we had to carry a bottle of ink in our bags). I didn't like it because I'm left-handed and always had to move a sheet of blotting paper with my hand as I wrote.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    Nobody carries a notebook and an ink pen anymore either, but I still have one with me all the time.
    Years ago they had the alphabet above the chalkboard in cursive as we learned it.
    Typing on an old school typewriter was an option Al class (elective) as a Freshman. I'm glad I took it.
    hahahah leave a sign on a car in script go ahead steal this car its a manual

thief wont understand the sign or how to get the car in gear

Feedback Score
    Im 29. I carry a notebook and pen daily at work- theres no way i could keep track of it with a phone, write quick notes/action items, etc. There is a need to sketch on the fly as well. I do write cursive from time to time to keep sharp.

Maybe i dont count though. “Old soul” and “dying breed” are terms people have used to describe me more than once, haha.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 03-18-18 at 09:57.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I use more notepads at work on my own than the entire News Dept. according to the Office Supply Nazi. I'm not surprised tho. Always writing things down that I want to make sure I remember throughout the day. Usually write it in cursive to avoid anyone freaking out if the notes are gun related. Actually had one of the weather guys start a complaint on me because he got "triggered" (pun intended) because I had a photo on my desktop of a gal I know holding *gasp* a gun.
    Our Liberties we prize and our Rights we will defend.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast