Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SG553 R

Feedback Score

SG553 R

Does Not accept green valmet M92 mags....bummer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kunc View Post
    Does Not accept green valmet M92 mags....bummer.
    This is unfortunate.

Feedback Score
    That seems odd, and I believe that you have an out of spec magazine.

Swiss Arms manual for SG 553R shows some compatible mags and Sako magazine is the first one pictured there. Generally Valmet and Sako mags are the best magazines made for the 762x39 platform, but the green mags are from a prototype batch so they are not identical to black production magazines. First batch of green mags were without lanyard loop, and second batch had the loop. I have some green mags with the loop, and have never had any problems with the tolerances - however, they are not anywhere near the quality and reliability of the black Sako magazines.

I do have some circle-10 magazines that are borderline useless on many AKs because the fit is so tight: you can insert them if you put in the required time and effort, but they are unusable in any serious use.

Feedback Score
    I just tried 3 more, all different shades of green, and not one fit.

Feedback Score
    If you measure them I’d bet that they measure the same - wide tolerances are not something Sako is known for.

I haven’t noticed any difference in fit between the green prototype mags and black production mags, but it doesn’t mean there aren’t any. Green and black mags are very different: they are made of slightly different materials, they function to different standards, and green prototype mags are not reliable enough for anything other than casual training use - especially if you store your mags fully loaded. Black production mags have been excellent, very high reliability also in extreme environments.

Since the black Sako/Valmet production mag is pictured first in the 553R user manual, that surely works very well.

Feedback Score
    maybe someone with a black M92 mag and a 553R can try it out. Was interested in the green because the furniture on my 553 R is green.
    Had no idea that the black and green were so different.

is the source of your info decribing the differences between the two mags? ......

"I'm not an expert conserning finnish plastic magazines, but I know something. As a finnish member of gunboards.com, I feel that I have a responsibility to reply. So I called to friend of mine, who knows more. But he also said that there are quite little hard facts known from the finnish experimental plastic magazines and most of information among the collectors, is "hear to say" based.

Originally finns produced standard steel AK magazines for our RKs. Our national character was that finnish steel magazines had a small, square figured carrying ring attached to the bottom plate.

When finns started to develop plastic magazines, first came the grey, beige, white and brown magazines.The reason for different coloring was not the camouflage effect. The true meaning has stayed unclear to me, but I've heard two theories. First one was to test different plastic types, and those different types were color coded with different colors mentioned above. Another theory said that the meaning to use different color was not to test the plastic, but the coloring agent. Which agent was most durable.

In the second phase came the experimental green plastic magazines in two shades, which were widely field tested. As a result, it was noted that the green magazines bulged too easily when fully loaded and the plastic material was changed. The latest magazine type is black, which was satisfactory in the terms of durability and reliability and the black magazines were chosen for massproduction.

Another difference between the green and black magazines seems to be the ammo indicator and/or dirt escape holes. Black magazines have 10 and 30 round holes, but at least my green magazine doesn't have either.

Black ones are currently (and at least for last 10 years) issued in conscript- and reserve training and also for peace keeping service, although my friend had in Eritrea UN mission 2003-04 older finnish ak magazines made of steel (while I had black plastic magazines at the same time in Kosovo).

Green magazines are available in finnish surplus markets time to time for 10€ to 15€ each and black magazines are around 30€ each, because they are far more reliable and current issue. Beige, white, grey and brown magazines are not seen as commonly here, but I would rate them more as collector items than the green ones, because green ones were produced in more vast quantities. I cannot estimate the price, but maybe between the green and black magazines, or maybe little higher.

But as a thumb rule, finnish army hardly never scraps any small-arms material, which might have use in mobilization in huge numbers and which might also have huge usage and high losses during the conflict. Just like assault rifle magazines. For example, most of the finnish steel magazines I have bought, have had twisted feeding lips and the green ones, are bulging type. That's why I think those are sold away to surplus markets."

Feedback Score
    I tried inserting one of the green Finish prototype magazines in my 553RP and it wouldn't fit. Based on what I can see, it won't insert up front because the first horizontal rib is in the way. In the picture below, the Finish magazine is on the left and a Bulgarian magazine is on the right.

The Bulgarian magazine locks in just fine, though it is sort of tight.

Feedback Score
    So I found a few more of the Sako green mags and they're all a no go for sure.
    I also tried a handful of Magpul first gen AK mags and half of them didnt lock in either....
    Bulgarian all fit very tight but lock up and russian bakelite fit perfect, no movement but not overly tight. The Cyrillic fit absolutely perfect by the way....

Feedback Score
    Nothing was wrong with the original Kalashnikov which is why I don't own any SIG's.

Feedback Score
    lol, thanks 7n6.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast