Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATS M4 Chest Rig

Feedback Score

ATS M4 Chest Rig

First of all, I want to say that I searched for this question here but didn't find a thread that specifically answered my question.

I am planning on attending one of MVT's HEAT 1 courses this fall and am assembling the necessary gear. I began with good old ALICE web gear, with the LC-2 belt and H suspenders, and USGI mag pouches, followed by a german surp rig, and then various setups from prepping supplies, lastly by a blackhawk setup. All were cheap, but thoroughly uncomfortable, and it tends to bounce around during any movement other than regular walking. You get what you pay for!! This has left me doing a good bit of research into chest rigs and such.

I think I have narrowed it down to 2 choices: an ATS M4 chest rig or Mayflower M4 chest rig. I don't plan carrying a radio on the rig at the moment and I can attach an IFAK if need be the ATS rig. Thus, I am leaning towards the ATS because the it is a little cheaper. Before I make my final decision, is there a reason why I should choose the Mayflower over ATS? I get the impression that both would serve me well. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by madmax_fal; 03-13-18 at 22:19.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    The Mayflower rig is one of the best around. A non-molle rig would be a good one as it will prevent you from getting the MOLLE one more bug....... Thinking that you have open space so you need to add a pouch. I have both and my go to rig is my Mayflower.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    The Mayflower is a good go-to for a lot of things. The ATS is ver similar to the MVT's own chest rig (on the occasions they put a run out for sale). You can get the ATS and use some kydex inserts, and be good to go for HEAT-1.

I did CRS/CTT last fall, which is what they now call HEAT-1. As long as you can carry 4 mags with you during the drills, either off a chest rig or a belt, you will be fine.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    FWIW, I think the Mayflower/Velsys UW Gen V would be a great addition for any of the HEAT classes and just general use. The split front style is certainly convenient.

https://www.velsyst.com/uw-chest-rig...ont-gen-v.html

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    The Mayflower is a good go-to for a lot of things. The ATS is ver similar to the MVT's own chest rig (on the occasions they put a run out for sale). You can get the ATS and use some kydex inserts, and be good to go for HEAT-1.

I did CRS/CTT last fall, which is what they now call HEAT-1. As long as you can carry 4 mags with you during the drills, either off a chest rig or a belt, you will be fine.
    Pardon my ignorance, but what are the kydex inserts for? Inserted into what?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by madmax_fal View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but what are the kydex inserts for? Inserted into what?
    Did a quick Google search, talking about these? https://www.skdtac.com/Esstac-556-KY...-p/ess.213.htm

Feedback Score
    Yeah, it would be something like that. It helps with retention even when the bungee is t in place.

Those particular ones are meant to work on Esstac Kywi pouches. There are other ones out there that are ore universal. I think Haley strategica has some. The inserts aren’t necessary by any means, you will be ok without them.

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Thanks, I'll give em a try!

Feedback Score
    An additional consideration is the type of mags you use. I have no experience with the ATS rig, but I've been using the mayflower uw gen iv for work for a few months now, and it's a VERY snug fit with gen 3 pmags. Gen 2 pmags and usgi mags insert and draw much more easily.
    "We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose" - Sir Carton de Wiert, VC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've used the ATS in a carbine class it worked fine. Just use it to back fill the belt speed pouch really.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast