Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SPR Rifle Suggestions

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Zero View Post
    Yes, Noveski, who supports this site, offers an 18" medium, or heavy contour barrel that he will flute for you with a mid length gas system.

I beleive D.D. has done special runs of VIS longer than 12", but 12" is the longest stock length that they offer.
    the noveske 18" SPR is actually an "intermediate" length gas system- they'll make a middy, or a rifle-length, for you, but if you don't ask for a custom job you'll get the intermediate- which is important to note, since there aren't very many handguard manufacturers that make 11" handguards.

I'd thought they were a middy system, too, until Todd, their shop forman, informed me otherwise. my DD m4 12.0 FSPM middy guard won't work unless I have them install a middy system, but i assume they decided on the intermediate for a reason (other than making you buy their really expensive 11" guards). Todd offered to drill it middy, without my even asking, so who knows.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    Nice- how's it shoot? how much of what you put through her? groups?
    Unfortunately I no longer have it as I traded for a G3. I do really miss it and have recently been considering building another.
    I ran it only with Black Hills 77 Gr. Sierra MatchKings. When I did my job right it would consistently group under 3/4".
    If I build another I would likely use the same components again.
    To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it. - GK Chesterton

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by the_accuser View Post
    18" White Oak Armament (rifle length gas system). ADCO Firearms built this for me several years ago and it is one of my best rifles. ADCO can add flutes to the barrel if that is something you want.
    how's she shoot? ammo/quantity/groups?

Feedback Score
    so intermediate is like shorter than a rifle length of about 1.5in right?

we know carbine is in the 8th in
    we know midlength is in the 10th iin
    what about intermediate and rifle?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    how's she shoot? ammo/quantity/groups?
    Shoots plenty good enough for me. Here is a photo I have from a year or so ago (100 yards). I was shooting Winchester Q3131A or Federal American Eagle 55gr FMJ. Either way it likes pretty much everything but Black Hills 77gr is the bomb. I have just started loading my own and have a pretty good Hornady 75gr load. I usually shoot 55, 69, 75 and 77gr loads through it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceriley View Post
    so intermediate is like shorter than a rifle length of about 1.5in right?

we know carbine is in the 8th in
    we know midlength is in the 10th iin
    what about intermediate and rifle?
    intermediate, at least for Noveske, is 11
    rifle is 12"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by the_accuser View Post
    Shoots plenty good enough for me. Here is a photo I have from a year or so ago (100 yards). I was shooting Winchester Q3131A or Federal American Eagle 55gr FMJ. Either way it likes pretty much everything but Black Hills 77gr is the bomb. I have just started loading my own and have a pretty good Hornady 75gr load. I usually shoot 55, 69, 75 and 77gr loads through it.
    very nice, thanks for the photo. I teetered between the WOA and the NRW, and finally went with the Noveske after WOA informed me of a 12 week lead. NRW told me 6-8. Everything I'm seeing/hearing is that WOA makes a damn fine SPR barrel, though.. maybe I'll just have to have two SPRs. Won't hurt anything but my wallet.

77gr certainly seems to dominate- which makes sense, seeing as the SPR was designed for it. Reloading is the only way to go, for that. I've been meaning to get into it for years- what reload setup did you get?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    intermediate, at least for Noveske, is 11
    rifle is 12"
    you can do whatever you want with a low-pro block, though- so long as your grips have block pin access holes in the right spot. the intermediate, again, will be difficult to accomodate in the hardguard area. noveske won't sell you any of their guards unless you buy the whole upper from them, which isn't a bad thing, but is spendy. WOA's SPR is rifle-length, so that would nullify the problem. you could put 14" guards on no-sweat, or whatever else you wanted.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    very nice, thanks for the photo. I teetered between the WOA and the NRW, and finally went with the Noveske after WOA informed me of a 12 week lead. NRW told me 6-8. Everything I'm seeing/hearing is that WOA makes a damn fine SPR barrel, though.. maybe I'll just have to have two SPRs. Won't hurt anything but my wallet.

77gr certainly seems to dominate- which makes sense, seeing as the SPR was designed for it. Reloading is the only way to go, for that. I've been meaning to get into it for years- what reload setup did you get?
    Thanks. The Noveske should be great as they have a good rep. Don't laugh but I bought the ever popular Lee Anniversary reloading kit with the full length dies. I wasn't sure if I would like reloading but it has been fun. I didn't like the Lee scale or perfect powder measure so I bought a Dillon Eliminator scale. It takes me a while to load some up because I carefully measure each charge using the scale but I am confident each one is safe (no double charges). Reloading is definitely the way to go these days especially with the high cost of match ammo.

Feedback Score
    does cmmg know if thier 1/8 spr barrel can be fluted?

what if you go rifle length gas system and a 12" rail? it would show the gas tube right?

what's the best barrel profile for an 18" spr? bull? too heavy? I know I won't be lugging it around but a lighter rifle is always better to bring to the range
    or do all of you flute your barrels?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast