Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES: STOP THE BLEED MONTH

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES: STOP THE BLEED MONTH

There is National Focus this month on obtaining training and knowledge related to stopping severe bleeding and the items required to aid in this portion of trauma medicine/first aid and it is open to the public - not just first responders or Mil/Govt personnel..

All month there have been many FREE courses throughout the United States. You can visit the link below to search your state for class schedules for the remainder of the month. Many of the courses provide a basic stop the bleed EDC type of kit. Pouch, TQ, Packing gauze, bandages, med tape/adhesive strips and knowledge how to use each of them in various bleed scenarios. Class duration is 2 hours.

https://cms.bleedingcontrol.org/Class/Search

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Awesome, thanks for the link.
    I took a Dark Angel Medical course last year ($$) so a free class will be a good refresher.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    This will actually come to my area at the end of the month. Thank you.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    For those near Fort Worth, I think Caleb Causey of Lone Star Medics is doing one that weekend. I will ask him if they have any more room.

I'm at the Rangemaster Tactical Conference this weekend, and I'll ask about other trainers and classes.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I missed a class by lone star medics in my area because I found it only a day before the class. It looked like a great class.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I do these in central NC. If anyone is in my area and interested, PM me.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Just signed up in PA...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Took the course on Saturday..great course and well worth the time

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Just as an FYI, these are going on all the time and are free, at least in my area. I took my son to one this week. It was really well done and he learned a lot. He now has a small trauma pack with a CAT tourniquet in his backpack for high school. Well worth the hour spent.
    Join Gun Owners of America Here

Fear causes hesitation and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true. - The Bodasafa

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks for the link "jethroUSMC". As "Brimstone" stated these courses are still available throughout the country. My wife and I are attending the class tomorrow at a local FD taught by an EMT. Will report how it went later on.

Follow-up: Class size was small, six attendees, but that allowed plenty of practice time with the supplied training devices. Basically the class followed the procedures shown in the following link through a "Power Point" presentation.

https://www.bleedingcontrol.org/~/me...20booklet.ashx

The hands on training consisted of the use and application of a tourniquet, we used CAT training models along with cheaper knockoffs. The instructor strongly emphasized the purchase of CAT, SOF-T's through authorized dealers and/or the manufacturers directly if we chose to add a tourniquet to our bleed control kit. Purchasing knock-offs from Ebay, Amazon, etc. was a serious No-No. We also performed wound packing using Z-Fold and rolled gauze. All of us were surprised by how much gauze it could take to completely fill a large wound cavity before direct pressure could be applied with our fingers and hands. "Keep stuffing it in there." was the all too common reply from the instructor when asked if we used enough gauze!.

Though the class was short in duration, about 90 minutes, it did provide the basic procedures in a very simple to understand format so that everyone in attendance felt that they had the confidence to act if the situation ever presented itself. Several students including my wife said how hesitant they felt to taking the class because of a perceived notion that it would be too complicated and that they would feel overwhelmed to act should the need arise. Feedback from all in attendance was very positive with the consensus being, "Hey we can do this!" If there's a class available in your area, go and take it along with family members and friends that you feel are capable of putting this knowledge into practice.

A shout out to the Jefferson Fire Dept. Volunteers who put this together to help us to help others. Kudos to all.
    Last edited by 3 AE; 09-10-18 at 16:20.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast