Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FBI removes criminals from data base

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

FBI removes criminals from data base

Who was/is on that list and what crimes get one on that list that were then removed? Per MistWolf comment, more to the story than the article covers?

The FBI has removed thousands of people who are wanted by authorities from a criminal background check database that stops them purchasing weapons.

The law enforcement agency moved in February to narrow its definition of a “fugitive from justice.” That definition now only applies to wanted people who have crossed states lines, The Washington Post reported.

The change in definition and the fugitives’ removal from the list are significant developments because it means those who are wanted but no longer remain on the list can purchase weapons again under federal law.

Cont:

http://www.newsweek.com/fbi-removes-...rchases-721249
    Last edited by WillBrink; 03-16-18 at 10:49.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    And people wonder...SMDH
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The article is very misleading. Prior to the purge, anyone with an outstanding warrant was denied. That includes warrants for such things as not paying a parking ticket. I once got a speeding ticket in New Mexico. As I lived out of state, I called to find out how to take care of the fine and they told me the amount over the phone. I paid that amount, but was short because they didn't tell me about the $5 "brain damage tax" and missed out on a very nice International Harvest M1 Garand because I was denied. The shop cancelled my layaway and sold the rifle to someone else while I cleared it up. I had no idea I was a "fugitive from the law" for a warrant over $5.

What has been purged are the names of those who have any kind of outstanding warrants but have not crossed state lines. According to the Washington Post, the BATF is behind this, not the FBI. Also, the names purged are on hold until the DOJ can reassess the issue. Not everyone that was purged is a dangerous criminal. Not everyone on that list was actually a prohibited person.

The list does not contain the names of all prohibited persons. Only those who have come in contact with the system. For example, someone who smokes marijuana is a prohibited person whether or not there is a record of it.

This is actually a good thing. The removal and reassessment is being done to protect our rights and remove names that shouldn't have been in the system in the first place.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 03-16-18 at 10:50.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The article is very misleading. Prior to the purge, anyone with an outstanding warrant was denied. That includes warrants for such things as not paying a parking ticket. I once got a speeding ticket in New Mexico. As I lived out of state, I called to find out how to take care of the fine and they told me the amount over the phone. I paid that amount, but was short because they didn't tell me about the $5 "brain damage tax" and missed out on a very nice International Harvest M1 Garand because I was denied. The shop cancelled my layaway and sold the rifle to someone else while I cleared it up. I had no idea I was a "fugitive from the law" for a warrant over $5.

What has been purged are the names of those who have any kind of outstanding warrants but have not crossed state lines. According to the Washington Post, the BATF is behind this, not the FBI. Also, the names purged are on hold until the DOJ can reassess the issue. Not everyone that was purged is a dangerous criminal. Not everyone on that list was actually a prohibited person.

The list does not contain the names of all prohibited persons. Only those who have come in contact with the system. For example, someone who smokes marijuana is a prohibited person whether or not there is a record of it.

This is actually a good thing. The removal and reassessment is being done to protect our rights and remove names that shouldn't have been in the system in the first place.
    I hate to do this as I laugh at people who post this kind of stuff, but here goes: It said the process was begun under the Obama administration, why? What reason would DOJ under Obama have for the action? Was Obama playing 3D chess?

MistWolf: I don't believe that the majority of the records removed fit your 'profile' - sure I'm sure there are some in there for minor offenses, but a lot of those folks are folks wanted for more serious offenses.

I think it is too broad a brush. The list is now said to contain only 788 names, really, only that many folks in the whole U.S. of A. that have outstanding warrants and should be prohibited? I find that hard to believe.

ETA: I'm sure most don't agree, but if you have an outstanding warrant, you aren't square with our society. I'm not too upset you can't purchase a gun until you get it squared. In your personal example you got screwed, I get that, but I'm not upset that someone who doesn't pay their child support, thumps on people and doesn't show up for court, drives while intoxicated and doesn't show up for court, shoplifts and doesn't show up for court, etc. can't buy a gun without first taking care of their obligation to our society.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 03-16-18 at 12:01.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    ‘stat padding’

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I hate to do this this I laugh at people who post this kind of stuff, but here goes: It said the process was begun under the Obama administration, why? What reason would DOJ under Obama have for the action? Was Obama playing 3D chess?

MistWolf: I don't believe that the majority of the records removed fit your 'profile' - sure I'm sure there are some in there for minor offenses, but a lot of those folks are folks wanted for more serious offenses.

I think it is too broad a brush. The list is now said to contain only 788 names, really, only that many folks in the whole U.S. of A. that have outstanding warrants and should be prohibited? I find that hard to believe.
    I agree with the above;
    A lot of District Attorneys are overwhelmed and they clear a lot of crap up by promoting deals for a plea.
    So ask yourself, if you're overwhelmed and your desk is piled high with more cases than you can possibly prosecute would you be willing to deal some of this away for a plea bargain that might just wipe a portion of the slate clean for a quick conviction?
    I would imagine more than a few of these felons had a gun either in their house/car they were dealing from on on their body when they were arrested. Will the plea deal wipe out the charges related to the gun?
    If anyone gets anything expunged for any reason the totality of the original charges, not just the plea should be the mitigating factor.

Feedback Score
    I hate to do this as I laugh at people who post this kind of stuff, but here goes: It said the process was begun under the Obama administration, why? What reason would DOJ under Obama have for the action? Was Obama playing 3D chess?

ETA: I'm sure most don't agree, but if you have an outstanding warrant, you aren't square with our society. I'm not too upset you can't purchase a gun until you get it squared. In your personal example you got screwed, I get that, but I'm not upset that someone who doesn't pay their child support, thumps on people and doesn't show up for court, drives while intoxicated and doesn't show up for court, shoplifts and doesn't show up for court, etc. can't buy a gun without first taking care of their obligation to our society.
    The biggest issue with this that i see is that you can be a “fugitive” and not know it... at least as i understand it. Do they not mail you anything to tell you you are “wanted?”

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    I can see this for fishing and hunting licenses, but unless these are felonies, I don’t see an “Square with society” legal criteria anywhere they suspends the Bill of Rights to citizens.

I don’t like those behaviors either but unless you suspend ALL their rights, they shouldn’t be cherry picked to support your statist ideal.

Feedback Score
    I am a bit of a loner in this opinion, but I think felons should be able to own guns and carry. They can get weapons if they wanted anyway.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Remember all of the "nonviolent" drug related criminals who POTUS "O" rallied around releasing?
    By nonviolent did he mean convictions, or charges?
    Of those who were released, how many have since been convicted of a crime with a gun?
    How many had been charged with a crime with a gun, but pled out of the gun crime and took a deal on the charges for drugs?
    We have a justice express lane that for expediancy sake allows some serious criminal stuff to slide in the name of a plea bargain.
    But be the unlucky guy who's had no negative interaction with law enforcement, but for whatever reason has a random warrant out there.
    Last edited by Averageman; 03-16-18 at 17:31.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast