Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45 Super?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    Is there any truth in H&K pistols being rated for 45 Super?
    I have a USP-C and if it's G2G...?
    USP full size with its double recoil spring runs Super reliably. So does the HK45C, in modest doses, in multiple pistols. Choked in my HK USP Compact .45, though.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepman1320 View Post
    I am running a 20lb flat wire recoil spring, 34lb mainspring, and Harrison flat bottom firing pin stop. Empties are landing 8-12 feet away at approximately the 4 o'clock position (same as 230gr in factory configuration). My estimation of where empties land is where I collect them so that is after a bounce or roll on concrete on an open outdoor range. Another thing to check is your barrel lug engagement if you are going to really run it hot. My 45 super load is an Extreme Bullets 230gr FN coated bullet over 10.4gr of Alliant Power Pistol with CCI large pistol primers and Starline 45 Super brass. I also run a load using pulled 230gr HST's 10.2gr of Alliant Power Pistol with CCI large pistol primers and Starline 45 Super brass. Chrono is averaging around 1230fps. I had run my powder load up to 10.8gr, but started seeing the primers getting flat and a more pronounce tear drop shaped firing pin impact than I like to see. The video below if from a local indoor range.

https://youtu.be/80U0VM2it6A
    Interesting. Are you shooting the .45 super out of a plain Jane 1911 with just a change of springs? Recoil doesn’t look too bad and not very much muzzle flash from the Power Pistol. I am getting enormous muzzle flash from a Power Pistol load out of Noslers reloading manual. 8.0gr for a 185gr JHP. Only about 890 FPS though. Just wondering if PP needs to be loaded at a higher weight to reduce the muzzle flash. Is there a special barrel needed for .45 super? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Why fart around? If a .45 Super is 230 grains at 1100 fps, then a 10mm is 180 grains at 1250 or 1300. Close enough.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Why fart around? If a .45 Super is 230 grains at 1100 fps, then a 10mm is 180 grains at 1250 or 1300. Close enough.
    Yes, that's my philosophy. Add that the 10mm makes a good woods gun. Underwood makes a 200 and 220 gr that flies out at 1200 +/- fps for four legged critters... Having been 1911-less for years I finally jumped back in the pool with both feet and got that 10mm that I've wanted ever since the late 1980's. Now, IT kicks pretty good too. It still makes a good woods gun and a nightstand gun. I use Underwood in the desert/mountains, and normal defense rounds for the night stand. With that said...

<--- My next 1911 will be a top tier 9mm though. I just have to face reality. I'm over 50 and having carried for a living many years and having hundreds of thousands of rounds downrange, my body doesn't like the recoil of large caliber hand guns anymore. Getting old sucks. A whole box of anything .45 or larger now, and I have to go home and ice my wrist. At least I can still shoot 9mm all day though.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    Interesting. Are you shooting the .45 super out of a plain Jane 1911 with just a change of springs? Recoil doesn’t look too bad and not very much muzzle flash from the Power Pistol. I am getting enormous muzzle flash from a Power Pistol load out of Noslers reloading manual. 8.0gr for a 185gr JHP. Only about 890 FPS though. Just wondering if PP needs to be loaded at a higher weight to reduce the muzzle flash. Is there a special barrel needed for .45 super? Thanks.
    The only change other than springs is a Flat Bottom Firing Pin Stop. It isn't too flashy until you get into true low light shooting, but at that point the 800 lumen TLR-1HL tends to wash that out. Other than that it is a plain jane Sig 1911. I checked to make sure I had good barrel lug engagement prior to running things hot. The advantage to running .45 super is that you can easily mimic a 10mm factory load without having to buy a 10mm gun for those that already own a 1911 in .45 acp. This with minimal changes to the gun which DO NOT change the guns ability to run standard .45 acp loadings. I do not change anything in my gun to run .45 acp ball at the range or my issued 230gr HST +P and it runs without any problems. It actually makes for a very soft shooting pistol with .45 acp loads. My hand loads exceed those of factory 10mm ammunition...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post

Link below from Underwood has .45 Super 185gr at 1300 FPS. Weird thing though, Underwood won't load the 200 gr to run at 1200FPS- so I think it can be bumped up a little. Read on Shooter's forum that guys are hand loading 250gr 45 Super at 1225 FPS.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collec...=7865926877241
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 08-05-18 at 17:27.

Feedback Score
    I have been loading 45 super for 2 yrs now in Para p14
    and Glock 21 for not quite a year. Para has 24lb Wolf recoil
    spring , full length guide rod and flat firing pin stop. Para has
    ramped barrel. Loads for Para are 215g cast@1200 and 185
    Xtp @ 1300 fps.
    Glock has Lone Wolf fully supported chamber barrel , either
    5.2 or 6.6" and multi baffle comp. of my design. Loads that I have
    shot from Glock is anything from 335g cast@1000 to 185 xtp @1700
    And everything in between. Both are extremely accurate and
    have shot squirrels.rabbits, coyotes and deer.
    A fully supported chamber barrel is imo a must have, and a efficient compensator
    for upper end loads. Para does not have a comp. could go higher
    with loads but is enough power imo. All of my loads used Acp. brass and have had
    ZERO problems in fully supported chamber barrels. As always this is safe in my guns
    all loads should be worked up in individual guns!!
    Properly set up 45 super/Rowland is an excellent caliber.
    There is lots of info on Glocktalk 45 super thread in reloading
    section.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12