Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light for outdoor rifle work

Feedback Score

Light for outdoor rifle work

With technology changing as fast as it is with lights, I wanted to touch base with the pros before ordering a light for my rifle. Here's the set of needs:
    (1) Outdoor duty only. (G19 gets the inside work.) Live in the country, so need to dispatch varmints from time to time. Should the world go crazy, then the rifle and light would be employed for defensive work.
    (2) Rifle is a lightweight BCM with key mod. It's slick and stock except for a sling and an ACOG TA33. Weight is minimal and I want to keep it that way.
    (3) Intend on running a light at 12 o'clock on the Pic rail (if it's a Haley/Inforce) or up close and snug at about 10:30, unless you guys tell me otherwise. Will this be ok with the ACOG? It's pretty high on a Scalarworks mount.

Goals with the light are: function, lightweight, rugged, and slick (prefer to attach direct to the rail or direct to key mod- don't want extra clutter or weight with adapters). Want to keep total cost light+mount+batteries under $200. I'm not an operator, but don't want junk that will break with light use. Do not want a remote switch and cable- just tail cap or thumb activated button on the light is fine.

Considering one of the Haley Inforce lights. Also thinking about Streamlight Protac Rail Mount 1 with offset key mod mount. Totally open to suggestions. Do not want anything big and heavy, but I think that a pistol light is a little small. What do you guys think? Thanks!!!

https://arisakadefense.com/collectio...nt=19659757891
    Last edited by tower59; 03-17-18 at 00:36.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    You have a quality rifle, just put a mini scout on it and be done...
    When you need a light, you really need it in my experience. My scouts have taken more abuse than they should have.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Love my Inforce lights...they are awesome.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Scout light and done

Feedback Score
    I live in the country and keep a rifle handy for precisely the same reasons you’ve listed, OP. I’ve got a G2X tactical surefire in an IWC mount on magpul handguards. It’s a great budget light, and still going strong after several years and no telling how many rounds later. But, the surefire mini scout is the better of the two and sounds more like what you’re looking for. It should have a tighter beam and a bit more throw to it also. Smaller too.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The new 500 lumen M300c mini-scout is good but after using it for a while I think the wider beam makes it better suited to indoors or short range outdoor use.

If I were getting a light for outdoor use the new 1500 lumen M600DF scout light is what I would be looking it. Enough throw to light up target 150+ yards away, its basically a mini-spotlight.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It kind of depends what kind of range (throw) you are looking for outdoors. The lighter smaller stuff you are looking at won't give you the required deeper and bigger reflector so that = less range. I guess you will need to weigh the pros and cons of weight vs range and what you want out of it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Streamlight scout lights are awesome at a much more palatable price point than the Surefires and I have had zero issues with any of the three that I have been running for the better part of two years now. With that said, if you are going to need to possibly identify and shoot at a critter from extended ranges and are willing to spend money on the best of the best, I would wait for the new Cloud Defensive OWL. If it lives up to the hype, it should quite easily blow everything else out of the water. If you don't need something quite so impressive, it's hard to go wrong with an HLX for the price. If you like the clicky tailcap, the light itself and a picatinny section for your handguard or a dedicated scout mount is all you need. If you intend to use the pressure pad, I would highly recommend the Cloud Defensive LCS. The little rubber-ish clips, tape and zip ties Streamlight supplies suck.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I recently picked up a Streamlight TLR-1 HL for $148 shipped from midway. Mounted at the 12 o'clock on my m4a1, easy to activate, and 800 lumens lights up my whole back yard

Feedback Score
    For outdoor, generally you're gonna want throw, so try out the Arisaka 600 series with the Malkoff E2ST head (ST standing for... super throw): https://arisakadefense.com/products/600-series-light

Don't forget they have an M4C discount code.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast