Thread: Opinions About Pre-Pays For Medical Procedures

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Opinions About Pre-Pays For Medical Procedures

Long story short, I'm having a semi-elective turbinectomy done next week on an oupatient basis. Yesterday I received a call from the clinic wanting me to pay my estimated co-pay in advance.

Quite frankly this offended me, I've been going to the same doctor/clinic for over twenty years and have never had an overdue bill.

I'm used to paying my co-pay when I check in for a doctor's appointment, but since I started on TriCare they don't ask.

Over the years these folks have done a lot of work on me in their ambulatory surgery center and this is the first time they've asked for the co-pay up front.

Is paying in advance the norm elsewhere?

Feedback Score
    I had a minor wrist surgery to correct some tendinitis last year and during all the pre-surgery work up they wanted me to pay the estimated copay in advance. I told them no and that they would have to bill me. I wasn't going to pay an estimate only to be asked for more later. Plus I wanted an itemized bill, hospitals tend to like to sneak in extra stuff you didn't receive (and they did). Once I got the bill and then got the costs I didn't incur straightened out I paid it off in two payments.
    If you can't win a gun fight against a lightly-trained individual during broad daylight with 88 rounds of 30-06, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it with... any other firearm.
    -Fjallhrafn
    Ok, I've got an El Camino full of rampage here, so what's the plan?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Have you had ambulatory surgery since January? My et it is a 2018 change with Tricare. But no, not real unusual. Some insurance plans do this.

Feedback Score
    I had a bunch of stuff removed from my throat and soft palate including tonsils, uvula, adenoids- it was horrible. However they wanted to do the turbinectomy in addition. Met someone at the bar that had that procedure done two weeks earlier- no way. It was the only part I didn't do because the guys nose was basically jelly.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Some of the local medical facilities are requesting estimated copays up front. The trend seems to be estimating copays higher than required after the billing process is complete. A few of the retired old goats I run with complain about it taking 90 to 120 days for the same facilities to reimburse them for overpayments.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    I had a bunch of stuff removed from my throat and soft palate including tonsils, uvula, adenoids- it was horrible. However they wanted to do the turbinectomy in addition. Met someone at the bar that had that procedure done two weeks earlier- no way. It was the only part I didn't do because the guys nose was basically jelly.
    Because the only place you’ll get better medical advice than the internet would be some guy at the local bar....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Because the only place you’ll get better medical advice than the internet would be some guy at the local bar....
    So you think I shouldn't have cancelled the procedure?

Seriously, the ENT guy, who I like when he's not shoving cameras up my nose, tells me it will help me avoid getting clogged up (my terminology), a constant problem with me.

I went back to my GP for a kind of second opinion and he told me that is why he sent me to the ENT.

I was going to have it done in the office, but my wife told me I was nucking futs, based on her experiences having her nose fixed after getting whacked with a baseball bat, which I guess is the root of the issue with the co-pay.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    So you think I shouldn't have cancelled the procedure?

Seriously, the ENT guy, who I like when he's not shoving cameras up my nose, tells me it will help me avoid getting clogged up (my terminology), a constant problem with me.

I went back to my GP for a kind of second opinion and he told me that is why he sent me to the ENT.

I was going to have it done in the office, but my wife told me I was nucking futs, based on her experiences having her nose fixed after getting whacked with a baseball bat, which I guess is the root of the issue with the co-pay.
    I have no idea whether or not a turbinectomy is a good idea for you. I do think that if you think that something like that would improve your life, you ought to check with another ENT (not a family practitioner) and get another opinion.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I have no idea whether or not a turbinectomy is a good idea for you. I do think that if you think that something like that would improve your life, you ought to check with another ENT (not a family practitioner) and get another opinion.
    I was kidding about canceling the procedure, but upon reflection, I think your advice re a second opinion is sound.