Thread: Glock Gen 5 dimensions needed

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Glock Gen 5 dimensions needed

Gents
    So, my dept is switching from Gen 3 22's to the Gen 5 17's. The 22's have been great in all areas except for those with small hands. Glock's website States the Gen 5 has a smaller grip. Does anyone know what the measurable difference is?

jpgm

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    The gen 5 uses the backstraps like the gen 4 does. I don’t have any actual measurements to give you. With no backstrap installed the grip is smaller, front to back. With the medium backstrap installed it’s the same size as the gen 3. With the large backstrap installed it’s bigger than the gen 3.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Contact your Glock LE rep who is handling the switchover. He can get the exact circumference for you. In addition to the smaller size, the lack of finger grooves will also help
    Last edited by quackhead; 04-07-18 at 01:38.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hopefully someone here has one and could measure the grip without the medium and large back straps in place.

jpgm

Feedback Score
    I believe its 2mm smaller, at least for the gen4. I would assume the 5 is the same.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I believe its 2mm smaller, at least for the gen4. I would assume the 5 is the same.
    Correct. The bare Gen 4/5 grip is 2mm smaller front to back than the Gen 3. The medium backstrap is the same dimensions, and the large adds 2mm. 2mm doesn't sound like much but it really changes the gun for a lot of small and large handed shooters.

Enjoy the new models.

Feedback Score
    I've got both frames here but getting out a piece of string and measuring things is a waste of effort.
    1. I'm not your Glock representative and where I measure and in what unit of measure I use will likely be different from whoever wishes to know. It's just too "O-C" for my temperament.
    2. Posts 2, 3, 5, and now #6 has answered the question close enough.
    3. Anyone in the OP's department can just try the Gen5 in the the three different configurations (no-backstrap; medium; or large) or allow the users to change backstraps as they prefer.
    4. My old department was a bit time-constrained and mainly issued the then-new Gen4 to everybody without any backstraps on them. After we lived with the Glock for ~6 months some of us switched to one of the optional backstraps. My department didn't want the individual LEOs from changing the backstraps ourselves. Each issued Glock has its backstrap size noted. I suppose it's a potential legal or civil liability issue. I also suppose there were a few LEOs who could determine sooner or immediately the backstrap size he/she preferred before the next qualification (but that individual would have to qualify in the configuration-carried) while others don't have any preference whatsoever and are happy just to be done with the periodic qualifications (twice/year).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DirectTo View Post
    Correct. The bare Gen 4/5 grip is 2mm smaller front to back than the Gen 3. The medium backstrap is the same dimensions, and the large adds 2mm. 2mm doesn't sound like much but it really changes the gun for a lot of small and large handed shooters.

Enjoy the new models.

True. I like the beavertail, but i could not reliably reach the mag release without compromising grip, and i dont have small hands. I just deal with the glock slices on my webbing, haha.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the info.

jpgm