Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help: How to use a 65MOA Circle Dot Sight.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    That's great and all, but does POA change from 50 to 200 yards? Seems pretty useless...
    Have you ever looked at a ballistics table for your load of choice? POI at 200 will be within 4" of your POA.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    >ranging is useless
    >muh POA

Learn your holds. Jesus.
    Not very smart, are you?

Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    It's for range estimation, not a BDC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Creature View Post
    Have you ever looked at a ballistics table for your load of choice? POI at 200 will be within 4" of your POA.
    That's my point exactly. The purpose of range estimation is what? Presumably so you can adjust POA accordingly, no? If POI doesn't change significantly between 50 and 200 yards, then what's the purpose of range estimation?
    Last edited by georgeib; 03-18-18 at 11:55. Reason: 200, not 2000

Feedback Score
    I assume you meant 200 yards.

The point is that in those 3-4" inches can mean the difference between a precise, surgical hit...and a "minute of man" center mass hit. You may not get to see much of a target that is partially obscured behind cover. Know your holds. In the words of Benjamin Martin, "Aim small, miss small".

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I assume you meant 200 yards.

The point is that in those 3-4" inches can mean the difference between a precise, surgical hit...and a "minute of man" center mass hit. You may not get to see much of a target that is partially obscured behind cover. Know your holds. In the words of Benjamin Martin, "Aim small, miss small".
    Agreed about the surgical hit. However, a surgical hit and a non magnified Eotech seem a bit at odds. Not that it can't be done.

ETA: I would also add that range estimating between 50 and 200 is pretty simple even with the naked eye. I would say that if someone needs a reticle to estimate between 50 and 200 yards, surgical hits are not in their future. IOW, range estimation with an Eotech reticle is mall-ninja territory.
    Last edited by georgeib; 03-18-18 at 12:00.

Feedback Score
    Agreed about the surgical hit. However, a surgical hit and a non magnified Eotech seem a bit at odds. Not that it can't be done.
    If you know your holds for your load and your rifle, inside 200 using an EoTech with it's 1MOA center dot, you definitely need to know your holds.
    Last edited by Creature; 03-18-18 at 12:04.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you know your holds for your load and your rifle, inside 200 using an EoTech with it's 1MOA center dot, you definitely need to know your holds.
    Agreed.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    then what's the purpose of range estimation?
    Because sometimes you just have to look and observe and not shoot.

Like I said, it's a parlor trick. No one raises an EOTech to range with, as 0-300 should be done instinctively by visible features of the target alone. But it takes nothing away from you or the optic to know it can be done.

*It has merit when wearing binocular NODs and using an EOTech on a riser. Very rarely done, and outside of the context of a small unit maneuvering under NODs, extremely niche.
    Last edited by GTF425; 03-18-18 at 12:18.

Feedback Score
    I remember reading "White Feather: Carlos Hathcock, USMC Scout Sniper". In it there was described a quick range estimation based on what a human target looks like to the naked eye of a person with normal vision. A quick googlefoo search turned up something similar described by John McPhee which goes something like:

100 meters- Recognize a face, see what they look like

200 meters- No face, cannot distinguish facial features

300 meters- No hands, soldier can distinguish what the enemy is doing, but cannot make out individual fingers or the entire hand.

400 meters- The head cannot be distinguishable, in fact it looks like they don’t have one at all.

500 meters- Cannot see individual legs, especially the light between their legs, an enemy is moving, but he is moving as a whole, without legs to the soldiers eye.

600 meters- Humans look like little triangles in shape, aka “A fat little triangle”.

Last edited by Creature; 03-18-18 at 12:25.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks to all who've responded..gonna write down all this, and learn my holds as as possible. I like the Hathcock range estimation. Keep any more info coming.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    I would say that once you zero at 50 yards, shoot at other distances (25, 100, 200 yards) to learn where your rifle hits with the load you're using...

I love a circle dot reticle, but I don't really think of it as a ranging tool. I think the main benefit is that you've got that big circle to draw in your eye for fast shots up close, but at the same time, you have the small 2 MOA dot to make a precise shot at distance.
    - Michael C.
    (hotlinks in signature lines are prohibited - stop bumping old threads to promote your website)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast