Thread: Body armor help

Feedback Score

Body armor help

I’m looking at purchasing from AR500armor.com I’m looking at the Veritas plate carrier with lvl III+ plates both front and back plates will have the build up anti-sprawl coating. The front plate will be curved and the back plate flat. Both plate will also have Trauma pads to help absorb the energy and help mitigate back face deformation. I’m totally new to body armor, I just want to see what y’all think of this set up? I know I want my set up to stop 5.56 rounds which is why I selected lvl III+ plates.

Both plates are 10x12 and “Advance Shooters Cut” also

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Body armor is one area I definitely won't skimp on. I'd recommend that you wait until you can afford something better. Doesn't have to be Velocity plates, but both Hesco and ATArmor have better options that aren't too expensive.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Front curved plate with a flat back?
    Er.... no.
    Also, AR500's package PCs are pretty much condor level gear so...also no.

Unless you are on an absolute bargain basement budget *AND* need armor now (if you have lots of hostiles and you neeeeed plates noooooow..... ), there's no really good reason for either item you've got your eye on.

At minimum, get both curved plates, better yet, ceramic or composite plates in *triple* curve- there IS a marked improvement in comfort, and it IS worth paying a little extra for. If you can swing a budget for lighter plates, definitely do that too.... but at the very least get triple curved plates.

There are also a number of not-airsoft-level plate carrier out there that are not insanely expensive- it really just depends on how much you want to carry = how much weight your PC needs to be comfortable carrying = how expensive of a PC you need.
    Hell, Optac has a couple decent PCs on sale right now for like $120/130- http://www.optactical.com/clarca.html
    Last edited by Jellybean; 03-25-18 at 12:05.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Best advice you'll get is what the people above have already said. Save your pennies and get a better quality plate that isn't AR500 steel. Or anything that isn't ceramic.

Tyr Tactical has closeouts you can look for on plates, OPTactical, AT Armor are legit vendors you can trust.

SKD Tactical has 20% off sales, can pick up one of their carbine (tiny) plate carrier/plate combos (high quality carriers, Slickster, STT/)- get the level IV if on a tight budget or spend more for the Carbine/III that are much lighter.

The Slickster has been highly recommended as comfy and light by people that have multiple carriers. Scarab is super comfortable if wearing it for long days end to end

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    flat plates suck/uncomfortable

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    OP you can send me a PM if you still are interested. I have Highcom, Hesco, and Tencate armor, and Velocity Systems and First Spear (coming soon) for plate carriers. Always try and take care of forum members when I can.