Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Suggestions for In-Ear Pro (with and without Comms)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Your Suggestions for In-Ear Pro (with and without Comms)

Your Suggestions for In-Ear Pro (with and without Comms)

Something more advanced than simple plugs
    Preliminary research points to Walkers for in-ear no comms
    What do you see as better with or without comms?

Sub $400 delivered ?

Feedback Score
    Been a lot of talk about in ear pro on the Hide lately.

Tried the Walker Silencer. Returned them.
    Could not get good ear seal especially when going prone. Made them unusable. Did find a better silicone plug on Amazon but still found them to not work well on a busy outdoor range in a conversation. Sound was not all natural. Worst part was that they advertise 60hr battery life. I never got more than 5.5hrs. Found out this is because once you remove the tape from the hearing aid batteries they begin to discharge. I found it very disingenuous of them to claim 60hrs. Frustrating.

Etymotic has been a very good name in the in the ear pro realm for a bit with their GSP 15. My problem with them has been that they use hearing aid batteries as well. They are realeasing a rechargeable version, the “Elites”, sometime this year. Interestingly, some found that this same product, the “Elite”, was just released by another company called Otto. They call them the Noisebarrier. I got a pair and am evaluating them now. So far sound reproduction is VERY natural. They have 2 “volume” settings. LO and Hi. Low works pretty well for attenuation on a busy outdoor range and conversations are easy. On HI however, there is definitely not enough attenuation. Might be great for hunting but not so much on the range. Battery life is superb. The case charges them which is handy and the supplied foam inserts seem to work well. Might try customs if I can find a place that will do them. Price is $360

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    The TEP-100's (https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...0832110&rt=rud) from 3M are getting solid reviews from people in the shooting and training industry. They are straight 23NRR ear pro and do not have a comms capability. There are a few others, like OTTO (https://www.otto-comm.com/noizebarri...ing-protection) and the Walkers you mentioned, but the 3M units will give you solid use.

For in-the-ear comms systems, there are really only a couple worth looking at, Invisio (https://invisio.com/communication-sy...ts/invisio-x5/), TEA (https://teaheadsets.com/product/panther/), and Silynx (https://www.silynxcom.com/product-ca...ng-protection/ or https://www.silynxcom.com/store/head...ngray-headset/). Keep in mind that all three companies share components, as TEA used to be Invisio's US distributor, but Invisio decided to go forward on their own. Silynx also uses Invisio components. I cannot say that I am a fan of any of them, because for my job, in-the-ear comms are a no go, due to the loss of situational awareness when you are wearing a chemical protective suit and then a ballistic helmet over that. None of them make bad stuff and I would not hesitate to use any of them if I had to.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    my experience with Sylinx in ear active ear pro with comms is they are not sufficient hearing protection for any type of firearms training. they're probably fine for hunting or actual law enforcement mission, where the volume of gunfire is low. however, in a training environment or high volume of fire combat, these are not acceptable as protection from hearing loss. this is even with custom molded ear inserts. this is maybe why they're not seen in any combat photos.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trinydex View Post
    my experience with Sylinx in ear active ear pro with comms is they are not sufficient hearing protection for any type of firearms training. they're probably fine for hunting or actual law enforcement mission, where the volume of gunfire is low. however, in a training environment or high volume of fire combat, these are not acceptable as protection from hearing loss. this is even with custom molded ear inserts. this is maybe why they're not seen in any combat photos.
    Thanks for that feedback. This was one of my main questions about using the sylinx clarus and the main reason why I hesitated so long before buying them. I'm glad I waited until I could get this answered.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    also the Silynx are not built rugged. i have several pairs i have to deal with and there are at least 2 generations. the latest generation has braided nylon over the cord leading to the radio key loader. the original generation is just insulated cable all the way too and bottom.

I have seen the shank for the ear mold break off.

I have seen the units stop hearing through and stop working for radio comms.

I also dislike that the junction between the ear wires and the main wire is too large to fit through PALS webbing on armor carriers. this is just a really big shortcoming when routing comms cabling on kit. consequently the work around for this is to just use hair ties and "bridge" PALS webbing and route the cable through each end of the hair tie bridge.

the ear wires are also just slightly too sort for most people to run the junction clipped to the rear nape of their plate carrier.

otherwise the fidelity of the hear through and the clarity of comms is excellent. if you maintain them and don't let ear wax build up in the ear mold channels, there's very few systems that sound better with less moving parts.

this system fits a VERY specific criteria of operation. it is not for everyone, it's not for every operation. for certain mission sets. there's actually no better system for hear through comms.
    Last edited by trinydex; 04-11-18 at 19:14.

Feedback Score
    I hate wearing 'earmuffs' in 100+ temps here in CO. I also really like my BOSE in ear QC earplugs that make commercial flights a lot more comfortable and are great for webinars and phone calls attached to a computer or phone.

Is there an in-ear electronic set that I can use on the range and as headphones for an iPhone? If they needed to be corded up for use as headphones, I'd be OK with that. With out cords for just sound deadening would be nice.

Is there such a beast? I use Surefire plugs now, and they are OK. I'd like a little better hearing and protection though.

Dual purpose would make some of these prices a lot more palatable,
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Surefire plugs will do the job but if you wanna go all out, I suggest these: Otto NoizeBarrier High-Definition Electronic Earplugs. I hate wearing the ones that go over your ears because of all the sweat. These things are worth the price. You can’t go wrong and they’re under $400.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Thanks, when they talk about communication, are they talking about just hearing/speech, or are they referring to the ability to link in with comms through something? Bluetooth or a cable?

I saw the Walker Earpro that is Bluetooth, but it seems like the Bluetooth is just for controlling the earpro, not for transmitting an audio signal.

Basically, I'm looking for a tactical version of AirPods, with the ability to block sound and allow voices through. A neck cord is OK. Helps to make sure I don't lose them that way.
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 11-06-18 at 12:17.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    The 3M TEP-200 with neckband is what you are looking for. They are solid and are also a big component of the Army's hearing protection program.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast