Thread: New to AR's in NJ. Need some advice

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

New to AR's in NJ. Need some advice

Hi all,

New to AR's. I live in NJ, and have been afraid of what our new governor is going to do with an AWB. So I picked up locally a Spikes lower before I found this site. All other sites are pro spikes but this site doesnt seem to be because of business practices, etc. I appreciate this site the most because it really seems like you guys know what you are talking about, which is why I wanted to get some advice.

So, I am looking for an AR for the range. I am trying to stay below $1000 total. Do I...

1. Get BCM upper for my Spikes lower (I would like matching upper and lower for OCD purposes but doesnt have to be)

2. Get BCM lower and upper and sell Spikes

3. Get Spikes upper for Spikes Lower

4. Buy Colt LE6920 (Local shop recently had one for sale used for $850)

5. Buy M&P 15 Sport. Have them local for $630.

I am sure the M&P would be fine for the range, but I also subscribe to the notion of "buy once cry once"

Some tidbits about being in NJ. FFL transfers are expensive, hence why I went with what I can get local for lower receiver (I can get Anderson, CMMG, and PSA lowers local also) FFL transfers are around $50 + a $15 NJ NICS Fee. So $65 or so. BS, I know.

Also, our barrel length must be 16" (or 14.5" with comp, which is what I am leaning towards) You must have a comp in NJ as well. No flash hiders. Also need a fixed stock and no bayonet lug.

Any advice would be much appreciated since I am still new to ARs.
    Last edited by jec1521; 03-20-18 at 11:52.