Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parallax and RDS

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Yup, this mirrors what I have seen from students running Mros at several training classes I have attended. Save your money and buy an aimpoint.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Furbyballer View Post
    Yup, this mirrors what I have seen from students running Mros at several training classes I have attended. Save your money and buy an aimpoint.

I have not done this test with the MRO, but with the RMR (same optic, just smaller). I have seen 4-5" group shifts with it.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I have not done this test with the MRO, but with the RMR (same optic, just smaller). I have seen 4-5" group shifts with it.

C4
    One of the classes this was most evident in was gunfighter mod 2 with Jared Reston. We had a FL cop in the class with his patrol rifle with a mro and was shooting basketball sized groups at 50 yds while working the vtac on the ground simulating a cruiser. Jared pointed out that the mro had much more parallax than the aimpoints. I let him run my t2 off my back up carbine for the class and his groups shrunk to fist sized groups. He sold the mro and is running a t2 now.

Last edited by Furbyballer; 03-20-18 at 14:27.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I wonder if this was with one of the Gen 2 MROs or a Gen 1.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Would like to have seen the test done with one rifle that drives tacks shooting tack driving ammunition shot off of a machine rest buy a competent shooter. Judging by the first string from both rifles groups were all over the place. Not saying the results would or would not be the same but the results implied by the video are at best irrelevant.

Feedback Score
    A couple of things about the video:

1. He admits the two rifles aren't 100% equal and that may be introducing error into the mix.
    2. He seems to admit at one point that for the MRO he had to crane his head a little more left and right due to its larger window. Had he only craned his head in a manner equal to the M5's window size, would that have shrunk the MRO's groups?

In general:

1. I've always, always, ALWAYS thought of an RDS as a "short-range optic", i.e. CQB up to 50 yards.
    2. It seems common sense to me that if the dot is not more-or-less centered it will introduce error into the POI. I always thought this was one big reason to co-witness with iron sights: you want to make sure the dot is always as centered as possible even in odd shooting positions. Absent a good co-witness, I've always thought "seek ye the front sight post" when aiming the RDS precisely so you WON'T be bitten by the parallax.
    3. Further, even though I personally hate a full co-witness with both front and rear iron sights, I always try to "find the front sight" because shooting with an RDS and no iron sight reference at all seems to me to be like shooting irons with only the front sight. You're not "aligning" anything. And I know people will argue that with an RDS you're supposed to have the luxury of the dot being on target no matter where the dot is in the window, but I'm not sure I ever believed that.

Given some optics do have more parallax than others but it's always been my humble opinion that's why you need some training on technique to keep the parallax from affecting your POI.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    Given some optics do have more parallax than others but it's always been my humble opinion that's why you need some training on technique to keep the parallax from affecting your POI.
    And the farther away a target is, the more time you have to properly set up your shooting/head position. We'll sling shots out to 500 yards every so often with RDS. You have to do your hold over, hold for wind, and keep your Dot centered up nicely.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    And the farther away a target is, the more time you have to properly set up your shooting/head position. We'll sling shots out to 500 yards every so often with RDS. You have to do your hold over, hold for wind, and keep your Dot centered up nicely.
    And that's why I think either: Co-witness at least with the front sight, or, realize that at more than 100 or so yards you need an LPVO or an ACOG.

In the video, I didn't like either group at 100 yards.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    I always try to "find the front sight" because shooting with an RDS and no iron sight reference at all seems to me to be like shooting irons with only the front sight. You're not "aligning" anything.
    Except that you’re not supposed to. RDS is meant to be used independently, without aligning anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast