Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Source for replacement AR10 integral carry handle charging handle?

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Source for replacement AR10 integral carry handle charging handle?

Quote Originally Posted by MASP7 View Post
    If Century imported it, it will have their name on it.
    If not, it no doubt came from the GWN. Lots of AR-10's were imported there, and they don't have the "once a machinegun, always a machinegun" silliness.
    Based on your location, I'd be guessing that's where it came from.
    Who is GWN? It would be great if it was transferable. A LGS has already expressed interest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    GWN- Great White North... Canada. I saw guns like that up there in the mid 80's. Back then, Canada had very liberal gun laws. Now the only thing very liberal up there is the government...

There's almost no chance it's a transferable.
    Someone at your department should know where it came from. Maybe a retiree knows. There should be some kind of paperwork on it.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MASP7 View Post
    GWN- Great White North... Canada. I saw guns like that up there in the mid 80's. Back then, Canada had very liberal gun laws. Now the only thing very liberal up there is the government...

There's almost no chance it's a transferable.
    Someone at your department should know where it came from. Maybe a retiree knows. There should be some kind of paperwork on it.
    Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Buy it from your dept! Even without the lower, if you have to.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You should definitely look into whether it’s possibly transferable (unlikely because it’s a AI manufacture) or a pre-86 dealer sample.

File a FOIA request with ATF for the registration and transfer history.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 04-26-18 at 21:42.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    You should definitely look into whether it’s possibly transferable (unlikely because it’s a AI manufacture) or a pre-86 dealer sample.

File a FOIA request with ATF for the registration and transfer history.
    I'll ask ATF to do a trace if we don't have any paperwork. I'm guessing we find because of the casual way it is being stored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    Where can I get a replacement AR10 integral carry handle charging handle? I found an AR10 in a closet at work a few days ago. The charging handle is broken.

Awesome find! I love Gun Archeology.

Contact Jack Leuba about finding parts
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score

Dutch AR10 Charging Handle

The Brownells charging handle (or Genesco Armalite) will not fit and a replacement handle is unobtanium. Every now and then a collector will make a few reproduction replacement handles but it is going to be another couple of years for it to happen again. The charging handle and the bolt are the most common points of failure on the early AR10s (1957-1960). The later Portuguese contract model (1961) wore out gracefully, and there were no common points of failure because of the wider bolt lugs and radically improved charging handle. The one piece charging handle in the Cuban and Sudanese was somewhat delicate. The Guatemalan and Transitional AR10s had a slightly reinforced one-piece charging handle which was not as prone to breakage.

The rifle in the OP is a Sudanese variant and is almost certainly from Canada, since it looks "converted" to their specs. Some of these sneaked by and others were allowed to be imported by sleepy border agents. These are generally taken by atf and later the owner is allowed to keep the upper and possible other parts. A pre-may sample like this one would be worth $8-12K (if shootable) and a Transferable would be worth at least $30K since it would have C&R status. Otherwise its just parts.

Unshootable machine guns sell at quite a discount even from wholesale. I found a pre-may sample AR10 that was missing the selector switch and it was obtained by a friend after a $2K discount. My first C&R MG was an AR10 missing the entire bolt carrier group and was bought at a huge discount.

A class 3 ffl holder with good relations with atf can find out the status of the gun. They have to do it all the time before taking department trades. A LLEO or civilian will get nowhere with atf.

To change the subject. My latest acquisition is a Cuban model AR10 made in 1957. It is intact and came with the original leather sling. However, the sling is tucked away somewhere so that it does not degrade in the dryness of the gun safe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12