Thread: Optic for CMP / NRA High power

Feedback Score

Optic for CMP / NRA High power

I'm looking for a decently high quality low power variable optic for general purpose and occasional CMP & NRA high power competition. 4.5x is the high end magnification restriction. Range application is 200 yards to 600 yards. I prefer a mil based system and I prefer to dial my shots when I can. I would like to have .1 mil adjustments on the scope. I only need enough illumination to contrast against the black NRA targets, so "day light bright" isn't critical. I can tolerate MOA with 1/4 MOA adjustments but it's just not as fast or intuitive for me.

I know March and Nighforce make scopes specific for this purpose but I'm not serious enough about the competition to spend $2k on a 1-4x. So short of those two....

The best option I've been able to find is the Trijicon Accupower 1-4x with the Mil Square reticle in green. Link:
    https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/produ...RS24-C-1900003

Here's the question:

Is there something else out there that I should be looking at that will meet my objectives? I wanted to reach out to the community and see if anyone knows something I don't before I place my order. I really wish I could use a 1-6x, like a K16i or Razor HD-E.

Another question regarding the accupower for those who have used it: Does it track true?

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    I can't speak to the Trijicon scope as I have never owned one. I would also review the actual HP rules before making a purchase. I found this while surfing WOA's site. I don't think I've ever seen it reviewed or even mentioned anywhere, but I would trust something they sell to be quality for competitors.

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/sho...ii-4x33mm.html

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/sho...-parallax.html

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    There is a classified ad (not mine!) for a Nightforce NXS 1-4x with the mildot. You might take a look:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...E-1-4-ZEROSTOP

As you know, Nightforce is known for solid tracking among other things.

The Trijicon you listed would also be a good option. The Leupolds linked above at WOA are probably good for dedicated competition use, but the first is a one-trick pony and the second is a little odd for other use. WOA is a solid company and those are probably great scopes, but I wouldn't blanket assume every single thing they sell is great, based on the "Freedom Reaper" scope mount I see listed.

1-4x scopes seem to be a dying breed, now that 1-6x is common even in moderate price points. I don't know of any other options I'd recommend that don't cost a fortune (like the S&B Short Dot).

Feedback Score
    Rules:

The rifle may have an optical sight (reflective sights are considered optical sights) with a maximum power
    of 4.5X. Variable scopes with a maximum of 4.5X are permitted. Only commercially manufactured scopes
    that were produced with a maximum magnification of 4.5X and that have a maximum objective lens of
    34mm may be used. If an optical sight is used, the same optical sight must be used in all stages of a course
    of fire (changing sights is not permitted). The centerline of an optical sight shall be no higher than 3.5
    inches above the centerline of the bore.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    There is a classified ad (not mine!) for a Nightforce NXS 1-4x with the mildot. You might take a look:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...E-1-4-ZEROSTOP

As you know, Nightforce is known for solid tracking among other things.

The Trijicon you listed would also be a good option. The Leupolds linked above at WOA are probably good for dedicated competition use, but the first is a one-trick pony and the second is a little odd for other use. WOA is a solid company and those are probably great scopes, but I wouldn't blanket assume every single thing they sell is great, based on the "Freedom Reaper" scope mount I see listed.

1-4x scopes seem to be a dying breed, now that 1-6x is common even in moderate price points. I don't know of any other options I'd recommend that don't cost a fortune (like the S&B Short Dot).
    This mirrors my thoughts. I'd much prefer a top of the line 1-6 or 1-8, but the current rules wont allow them. I can get a good deal on the Accupower and it's making other options (like nightforce) seem excessively expensive for my particular needs. But that's the point of this thread... to see what options are out there. I appreciate the post and the link. I'm kind of crossing my fingers hoping someone will chime in with something like "Here's what I use and it's great because blah blah blah" I know a lot of guys use the VX-R patrol but the illumination button is kind of turning me off - no pun intended.

Quote Originally Posted by 09stanggt View Post
    Rules:

The rifle may have an optical sight (reflective sights are considered optical sights) with a maximum power
    of 4.5X. Variable scopes with a maximum of 4.5X are permitted. Only commercially manufactured scopes
    that were produced with a maximum magnification of 4.5X and that have a maximum objective lens of
    34mm may be used. If an optical sight is used, the same optical sight must be used in all stages of a course
    of fire (changing sights is not permitted). The centerline of an optical sight shall be no higher than 3.5
    inches above the centerline of the bore.
    I believe there's also a weight limit for rifles with an optical sighting system ~ around 11 lbs I think.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullz View Post
    I know a lot of guys use the VX-R patrol but the illumination button is kind of turning me off - no pun intended.
    I strongly dislike Leupold's pushbutton illumination control. It feels flimsy and you have to cycle through the whole thing. Unfortunately Nightforce's "Digillum" is the same but even worse. It's on the newer NXS models (none of them 1-4x) but not the NXS Compact I had linked to. Oddly enough I don't mind the single button the Browe optics, maybe because it doesn't feel flimsy and has two modes; it otherwise has a similar function.

The rules allow for popular models of prism sights, particular the ACOG TA01/TA31 that I'm sure they were written to allow, along with many other ACOG models, the Steiner M332, Burris AR332, and probably some others (Hensoldt ZO, Elcan 1/4x, Wolf PSU 1/4x). Not the same as a 1-4x but they are very handy optics for many uses, and you might consider one of those as an alternative to the limited options in variables that meet the rules. The ACOG TA01/TA31 has a very short eye relief that is somewhere between a design defect and a trade-off, but the benefit is wide field of view. The Steiner M332 is very good optically, with a lot more eye relief, and has a typical price around $630 but with careful shopping you can find them under $500, which includes an excellent QD mount. Just some other things to consider.