Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 13.6 inch barrel- need long flash hider or brake to bring it past 16"

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I used a dead air FH on a 13.7 barrel. It required some extra shims, but I got it to 16.1 and it is plenty secure. I've shot it with my sandman-s and have not had any issues. You will need even more shims which might not be worth it. I would second the recommendation of the 249f.

Feedback Score
    Rascal

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I don't know about that one but I've seen similar ones that not only did not hide flash, they enhanced it, and flash makes its own noise so the guns were flashy and extra loud.

https://donate.nra.org/donate

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    If you use a 2.7" (dead air FH) on a 13.7 barrel you are going to need .225" of shims. If your barrel is 13.6 you need .325" of shims. No way I would ever do that with a suppressor, ever. But to each his own. Seems like a small amount, but take a micrometer and put it at that value on the shoulder of the barrel and you lose half the muzzle threads if stacking it up on the 13.6. No thanks. What are you gaining on the 13.7 vs the 14.5? Worth the headache for half an inch total OAL?

Here is some simple math!

13.7+2.7= 16.4 minus .625 muzzle threads. Total length 15.775 inches. Needs greater then .225" worth of shims. Picture Below...

13.6+2.7= 16.3 minus .625 muzzle threads. Total length 15.675. Needs greater then .325" worth of shims. Picture below..

Last edited by Jwknutson17; 03-23-18 at 08:22.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    My two cents, one of the few aftermarket muzzle devices I like personally, a Noveske KX-3 or KX-5. It should make length, and rediirects some of the muzzle blast downrange where it belongs. Advantage #2, the KX's are, well, kinda long. so adding one to a 16"-er makes things, well, kinda long. Yours will not be.
    Ned,

I’ve been on the fence about one of the flash hiders for one of my SBR’s (5.56) that I didn’t plan on suppressing . What do you typically mount them on?
    Thanks,
    RTT
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Well, mostly, 16" AR's. My experience on them with shorter barrels is not extensive but I find I agree with what Pat Rogers always said, that the shorter the barrel, the more they help with the noise. I have also used them on bolt guns up to 24"..... same deal, it takes the ragged edge off the noise from the shooter's perspective. If you're downrange within a 90 degree wedge you're sucking up that noise..... I can imagine a tactical advantage to that.

I do have one set up exactly as yours would be.. might be 13.5, I don't remember for sure but with the KX3 pinned and welded it made 16"-something. Make sure you measure with the megaphone removed from the KX.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just SBR it. The 553LB is not going to look right with an extended flash hider.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    Or get the Swiss made m4 hinge and a tail hook mod 2 brace and drive on. That is what I have on my 551 while I wait for my stamp.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascally View Post
    If it is an accurate reproduction, I’d be a little concerned about the effectiveness. I know the OP wants to get to 16”, but he can do that without sacrificing all glass suppression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KTR03 View Post
    Or get the Swiss made m4 hinge and a tail hook mod 2 brace and drive on. That is what I have on my 551 while I wait for my stamp.
    Can you share a link to the Swiss made hinge? I ordered this adapter:
    http://usmachinegun.com/proddetail.php?prod=PAP-SAAR
    And the tailhook Mod 2. I also ordered an SBA3 brace, it's on backorder. https://www.sb-tactical.com/product-category/brace/

I will give them both a try. I have a KAK shockwave but I like these two adjust like a standard stock. The SBA3 uses a standard Mil Spec RE. It is cheaper too. I have the TailHook on my CZ Scorpion and love it.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast