Thread: High Reps vs Low Reps: The Science

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

High Reps vs Low Reps: The Science

What does the science say? Based on the excellent recent meta-review of the data by Brad Schoenfeld et al, I have add some thoughts on the matter, with links to some additional reading by BrinkZone author Monica Mollica, etc. Should those focused on hypertrophy incorporate high rep training into their programs? Find out...

Higher reps vs lower reps has been a debate for decades among those focused on hypertrophy, such as bodybuilders and casual lifters just looking to add some muscle mass. When people ask me what rep ranges are best for hypertrophy, my typical response is “all of them!”

There’s been a number of studies looking at higher rep ranges using lower loads that support the use of higher reps in programs focused on hypertrophy covered by Monica M HERE worth reading if you have not already. Anything by Monica is always worth reading, but I digress.

Recently, a large meta review of studies examining the topic and using a stringent inclusion and exclusion criteria for the review, that lower reps with higher % of 1RM and higher reps using lower % of 1RM have similar effects on hypertrophy. If the specific goal is improvements in 1RM in a given lift, than higher loads and lower reps is superior, although increases in 1RM strength does take place with higher rep/lower load training.

Cont:

http://www.brinkzone.com/bodybuildin...s-the-science/
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Interesting. In my experience, the fastest strength gains were high weight, low reps, mid sets (4-6reps) 5 sets.
    My goal was to get the same total reps as a 8x 3 workout with more weight. Not scientific though.

Thanks for the info as always.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Interesting. In my experience, the fastest strength gains were high weight, low reps, mid sets (4-6reps) 5 sets.
    My goal was to get the same total reps as a 8x 3 workout with more weight. Not scientific though.

Thanks for the info as always.
    Which makes sense, but that review is specific to hypertrophy. I touch on that also and the full paper linked for free download if interested.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”