Thread: SKD STT or Crye JPC for hot weather

Feedback Score

SKD STT or Crye JPC for hot weather

It gets pretty hot and humid in Texas, so I'm interested in getting a carrier that is lightweight and breathable.

It will be used with only a front and rear SAPI cut medium level IV ceramic plate, so I don't care about side plates.

I've been searching around, and the SKD STT has caught my eye. I am familiar with the tubes, and i do like them, but i would like to know how well the carrier does in 100°+ weather when used with the SKD pontoons. I'm also looking at the Crye JPC 1.0, which is in the same price range.

The STT is also kind of appealing because I can use my ar500 plates to run in.

I'm open to other options, provided they are in the $200 range, and have a cummerbund. I don't use a lot of pouches, a 3 mag rifle shingle, a 2 pistol mag shingle, and a camelbak, so whatever I get, I don't plan on loading it up with crap.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Last edited by zackmars; 03-21-18 at 14:51.

Feedback Score
    After talking to Crye, seems like the 1.0 is pretty far away from being in stock, so I'm looking at the 2.0 instead.

Feedback Score
    Why the cummerbund? If you don't need side plates and are running fairly slick, the cummerbund will just trap heat. Just run your pistol mags off the belt, or possibly up front, on top of the rifle mags.

The BFG PLATEminus might be worth a look if the cummerbund requirement is dropped.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Why the cummerbund? If you don't need side plates and are running fairly slick, the cummerbund will just trap heat. Just run your pistol mags off the belt, or possibly up front, on top of the rifle mags.

The BFG PLATEminus might be worth a look if the cummerbund requirement is dropped.
    The C-bun adds stability, and makes it easier to don and doff. I've used several PC's without cummerbunds, and i don't like them as much

I don't like running mags on top of other mags if i can help it.

Already have a belt set up with 2 rifle and pistol mags

Feedback Score
    Since your plates will retain heat and stop moisture transport no matter what carrier they are in, and if you want the cummerbund, the best way to manage heat would be something with a skeletonized or mesh cummerbund. In addition to what you and others have mentioned, the velocity systems scarab has that feature. Not sure how you want your setup, but any pouch mounted to the cummerbund will negate this advantage and only serve as an insulator. Also rehydration salts. YMMV but I love those things
    Last edited by E_Johnson; 03-23-18 at 11:10. Reason: Typos
    "We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose" - Sir Carton de Wiert, VC

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E_Johnson View Post
    Since your plates will retain heat and stop moisture transport no matter what carrier they are in, and if you want the cummerbund, the best way to manage heat would be something with a skeletonized or mesh cummerbund. In addition to what you and others have mentioned, the velocity systems scarab has that feature. Not sure how you want your setup, but any pouch mounted to the cummerbund will negate this advantage and only serve as an insulator. Also rehydration salts. YMMV but I love those things
    The scarab is interesting.

I already have 2 pistol mags on a belt, so I'm probably just adding more weight by having an extra 2 mags on my pc.

I'm leaning towards the jpc 2.0, thanks for your feedback

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Buy neither.
    Wait a minute until the new Spiritus Systems lo-pro scalable PC comes out. Seriously.

If that's not your cup of tea, and given your minimal loadout, I'd go with the JPC, Scarab, or Raptor Tactical's upcoming new PC with the integrated Armorvent panels.
    All gear sucks for heat though- even chest rigs.
    Last edited by Jellybean; 03-24-18 at 21:24.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment