Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips for Shooting AR left-handed?

Feedback Score

Tips for Shooting AR left-handed?

I've shot right-eye all my life.

With some vision issues in my right eye, I've lately started shooting carbines left-handed. (I shoot pistol both eyes open).

I took the eye dominance test for the first time in my life and found out I'm left-eye-dominant to my complete surprise.

Yesterday I took my carbine to the range with the Meprolight M21 on it, and shot left-handed the whole time.

I was surprised at how easy and without issue I adapted to it. In fact, the only surprise was how easy it was.

I manipulate the safety with my trigger finger; the bolt release too.

Since I've been using a BCM Gunfighter charging handle on that carbine, I didn't feel the need to buy an ambidextrous one. I had no trouble loading the weapon with my left hand althought it's not ideal. I may buy an ambidextrous handle at some point.

Those of you who've shot your carbines left-handed all your life, are there any pointers or hacks that you use?
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 03-22-18 at 15:06.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    i run colt safties because they can be switched, the mag catch can be worked as is or run a troy ambi unit. i also switched my sling mount to the ejection port side of the rifle
    for the most part it is easy peasy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elia.jon1 View Post
    i run colt safties because they can be switched, the mag catch can be worked as is or run a troy ambi unit. i also switched my sling mount to the ejection port side of the rifle
    for the most part it is easy peasy
    I oriented my VCAS sling for left-handed use. Other than that I prefer to err on the side of Larry Vickers' opinion that you need to leave components stock because you never know when you'll end up with a right-handed carbine in an emergency that doesn't have the left-handed safety, mag catch, etc.

It IS a little awkward to work the safety with your trigger finger, but it's not too bad. I'd rather do that than install an ambi safety and get so used to it that I'm lost if I ever ended up with a strictly right-handed weapon in a SHTF situation or something.

Working the mag catch with the off hand does take longer than being able to hit the release with your trigger finger: I'll grant you that.

I started practicing releasing the empty mag with the fresh one already in my right hand and tripping the bolt release with my trigger finger on my left hand as soon as the new mag is in place. It was a little awkward, but I was surprised at how quickly I adapted to it.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 03-22-18 at 15:30.

Feedback Score
    I used my left thumb to hit the mag release. Rotate the butt out of my shoulder keeping my hand on the grip and the mag release kind of rotates into the extended thumb

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Just how likely are you to find yourself in a life & death struggle limited to a right hand only AR? I'm not a lefty, but I've been practicing manipulating my AR from the port side. I find ambidextrous controls very useful, regardless of which side I'm shooting from. For example, it's much easier to lock the bolt back without a magazine in the well if the bolt lock can be pressed with the trigger finger. I also favor a 45° ambi selector switch, even if I'm just shooting right handed. I don't think ambi controls are absolutely necessary, but they improve the shooting experience significantly.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloLarry View Post
    I used my left thumb to hit the mag release. Rotate the butt out of my shoulder keeping my hand on the grip and the mag release kind of rotates into the extended thumb
    I'm having trouble picturing this. With your left hand on the pistol grip are you saying you can rotate the rifle in such a way that your left thumb can find the mag release?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Just how likely are you to find yourself in a life & death struggle limited to a right hand only AR?
    I live in a small town and I literally have never even seen an AR with ambi controls, or a left-handed Stag AR, except at gun shows.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm left handed and shoot my AR's like most right handers I see. I do have ambi selectors...that's about it. I drop the mag with my right thumb on the way to grab another mag.

Feedback Score
    Only things beneficial are an ambi mag catch/selector.

Obviously, sling mounts on the right side are a must.

You may find yourself appreciating an upper without a FA and not having the charging handle latch rubbing against body. Do not get an ambi CH. That is one of the perks of using a standard AR left handed, well, in addition to being able to quickly look into the action. Standard CH and bolt catch seem like they were designed for left handed use.

If you still shoot a pistol right handed, you may have some gear set up issues but transistions from rifle to pistol can be faster.

Just wait until you start using shotguns left handed....
    Last edited by Bob Sacamano; 03-22-18 at 16:47.

Feedback Score

Better? Keep in mind that your right hand is still on the forearm, rotating the rifle about the grip.
    Last edited by HelloLarry; 03-22-18 at 16:51.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast