Thread: 300blk & Pistol silencers

Feedback Score

300blk & Pistol silencers

Im looking to buy a 300blk upper soon, and want feedback on experience using subs through a 9mm silencer.

I have a rev9 right now, and no 308 silencer. My main concern is that the reduced volume of 9mm silencers will make them significantly louder, but on the other hand, i dont think the gas volume from a 300sub load is much more than a 9mm.

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    It's true, in my experience, subs are louder through a pistol can than a full size .308 can, and louder still through a 9mm "K" can.

But pistol cans are lighter, and Kcans are smaller.

I like the Omega9k the best for 300blk. It's the loudest, but it's also the smallest, and it's rated for supers, which makes it much more useful for me personally. Ymmv.

I hardly shoot subs. Mostly just when folks (family) come over to shoot a bunch and I don't want to irritate my neighbors (more than I already do)

Feedback Score
    So the rev 9 in k config is barely longer than the omega9k and less volume/ smaller diameter. Im assuming the “quietness” will be dissapointing. If thats the case, i may go a different route and wait till i get a 308 can... i do like the small size though... decisions.

Part of me says the practical thing is to stick with 5.56.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    So the rev 9 in k config is barely longer than the omega9k and less volume/ smaller diameter. Im assuming the “quietness” will be dissapointing. If thats the case, i may go a different route and wait till i get a 308 can... i do like the small size though... decisions.

Part of me says the practical thing is to stick with 5.56.
    If I was going to do it over again I would buy a sig mpx SBR in 9mm and use one of my pistol cans on it shooting 147s. The only appeal 300blk was to me personally was that I could shoot subs and have it be quiet with the can. Then when I was going to have to buy a whole new caliber of ammo, and support for that one or two SBR's, I abandoned both projects. If I was going to shoot supers, I would just snag my 308 instead. And I am not paying a buck a round for subs in 300blk when 308 Federal Gold Metal Match 175gr was the same price. And 147gr 9mm is 21 cents a round.. This is just my opinion of course.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    I tried the pistol can on the 300, but it was too loud for me. I wasn't happy until I had a rifle can on it.

Feedback Score
    Now im thinking of a scorpion pistol. A lot smaller than 300blk too.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 03-25-18 at 09:56.

Feedback Score
    I have not come to my own personal decision on this yet, so I offer no advice to anyone else.

I used a Bowers 45 can on a full auto M11 - 9 I had for about 25 years.

I got rid of the M11 for far more than the $400 I paid for it for interest in other NFA stuff I find far more practical.

When I built a 300 BO Carbine and pistol my original plan was to use the YHM QD flash hiders and brakes and use my 7.62 phantom that I also use on my AKs and AR10 and HK91 type guns.

But I found that my 45 subgun Bowers can was also suitable for 300 subs.

Pros-
    I can leave the can on a 300 BO SBR and have one less gun hungry to share my Phantom.

Cons-
    I am not sure what would happen if I accidentally put some SuperSonics through it
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”