Thread: Colt Firearms AR-15 Test Range Sign - Any Colt AR-15 Historians?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Colt Firearms AR-15 Test Range Sign - Any Colt AR-15 Historians?

I picked-up this sign recently and thought it would look good hanging in my Den. It measures about 14" long by 13" wide. It also has a date of "10-5-1963" written in pen on the back. And has what looks like 3 mounting holes. It came out of Central PA.
    Has anyone ever seen anything like this out in the wild? Anyone know if Colt had a test Range for AR-15's? The date on the back does date to the time the AR-15 was under review by the military. I'm thinking an employee may have snagged this before it hit the thrash? I'm trying to figure out if this could have actually came from a Colt test range, or someone just made it?
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I like it. You must be blessed with a very patient wife.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think it is cool, even if it never hung on a Colt test range.

I think it was probably made from a scrap piece of wood because of the glued joints and the fact that the holes are countersunk from the rear. Somebody wanting to spruce up their work environment with minimal expense would likely use a scrap piece.

I wonder why the 'Colt Firearms' isn't centered as is the 'AR15 Test Range' and I wonder why they aren't level in relationship to the shield.

That isn't to say that it is not an authentic sign. It's kind of fun to imagine yourself in the place of the guy making it.

I'd definitely hang it in my man cave.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 03-24-18 at 20:20.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I contacted the seller and he stated this came form an Estate Auction of a Buck Emory.

"Supposedly he was an arms dealer/tester. Many of the items at this auction were his weapons. He tested for Colt & Colt let him keep the weapons he tested."

Anyone heard of a Buck Emory?

It does look good hanging in my den.
    Last edited by Dump1567; 03-24-18 at 20:59.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you really want to know, you could check the auction catalogs of auction houses in the area and you may find what you're looking for. You may be able to narrow the search through public death records and obituaries.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post
    If you really want to know, you could check the auction catalogs of auction houses in the area and you may find what you're looking for. You may be able to narrow the search through public death records and obituaries.
    I've done a lot of different google searches with his name and nothing comes up. I've also checked on-line info. with Auction Houses in Dover, PA (where this came out of) and nothing. The next step could be phone calls to these places. The seller is suppose to get me more info., but I'm still waiting on it. I've got this posted on several forums and no one has any info. Probably just a wood shop project, but I'll probably never know. Looks great on the wall though.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dump1567 View Post
    I've done a lot of different google searches with his name and nothing comes up. I've also checked on-line info. with Auction Houses in Dover, PA (where this came out of) and nothing. The next step could be phone calls to these places. The seller is suppose to get me more info., but I'm still waiting on it. I've got this posted on several forums and no one has any info. Probably just a wood shop project, but I'll probably never know. Looks great on the wall though.
    I wouldn't get too excited over whether it is a legit period piece or not. It probably isn't but don't worry about it. It looks antiquified to me. Consistent distressed edges are the give away. The yellow dust/smears are another. It wouldn't wear that way while hanging on a post. Enjoy it and don't worry about it's value.