Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for absolute most durable barrel.

Feedback Score

Looking for absolute most durable barrel.

In the interest of organization, I'm trying to finish up some builds that have been piles of parts for a few years. I just finished a build with a Rainier arms mountain barrel that I got a steal on with a rainier upper, but I am not a huge fan of the GI profile. I'm looking for 14.5 CHF, and have basically settled on the Noveske N4 14.5 mid-length. I run A5 only on all my rifles, and I'm looking for the best shooting more durable barrel I can get. I clean my stuff well, but am very busy and occasionally stuff gets rode hard and put away wet, for this reason I'm inclined to go CHF Chrome lined.

I previously had a Noveske Recon SS 16" barrel that shot well, but the AR is not my chosen precision platform.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HammeredSole View Post
    In the interest of organization, I'm trying to finish up some builds that have been piles of parts for a few years. I just finished a build with a Rainier arms mountain barrel that I got a steal on with a rainier upper, but I am not a huge fan of the GI profile. I'm looking for 14.5 CHF, and have basically settled on the Noveske N4 14.5 mid-length. I run A5 only on all my rifles, and I'm looking for the best shooting more durable barrel I can get. I clean my stuff well, but am very busy and occasionally stuff gets rode hard and put away wet, for this reason I'm inclined to go CHF Chrome lined.

I previously had a Noveske Recon SS 16" barrel that shot well, but the AR is not my chosen precision platform.

Thoughts or suggestions?
    Current Noveske N4s are overgassed and at over $450 for whats basically a FN CHF barrel with a special profile, overpriced. These days you can get FN CHF for $300 and under, you just need to find one with your specs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Current Noveske N4s are overgassed and at over $450 for whats basically a FN CHF barrel with a special profile, overpriced. These days you can get FN CHF for $300 and under, you just need to find one with your specs.
    Any recommendations? I haven’t shot the rainier yet, but would consider one of their 14.5s if it shoots well. I don’t need the FSB shoulder, so I like the bcm barrels. Who makes the bcm BFH line, is that FN?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)

Thoughts or suggestions?
    What does durability have to do with anything. Have you ever calculated how much you will have to spend on ammunition to wear out a barrel? BTW.. Cleaning doesn't extend the life of a barrel. Get a barrel from a respected manufacturer and don't worry about how long it will last.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Parts are consumables that includes barrels and bolts. I have two particular uppers with over 10K on each. That is roughly 6K in ammo. A barrel that costs 225.00-350.00 over a span of years is small potatoes.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    While i agree, barrels are consumable, and should fit whatever role you need( other factors ussually outweigh durability), you may want to look at centurions chf offerings.

That said, colt barrels are not chf or double Cr lined and have been holding up fine in Military use.

Feedback Score
    Durability is important to me, as it will occasionally be run on a MG lower, and I iplan on having it a long time, in what is potentially a social and political climate where parts are hard to obtain or ridiculously expensive. Which is the reason I don’t just want a piece crap that will shoot out in 10k rounds. I have had non chrome bores corrode on me before, and partially attributed this to storage and not thoroughly cleaning or oiling when stored. No experience with nitride bores, so I don’t know if this applies there, hence why I included it. Best info so far has been gas port info on noveske and a pm about the BA DD run. So, thanks to those who gave solid info.
    Last edited by HammeredSole; 03-24-18 at 20:17. Reason: Autocorrect grammar

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Hands-down, the best blend of accuracy and durability in the short-barrel area is Colt. Keep in mind, that simplistically, barrel durability and accuracy are inversely correlated. Colt strikes a good balance between durability and accuracy in the 14.5" and under barrels. I build SBRs for LE teams, and we have tried other brands, as Colt is not always readily available. Some are very good and very close to Colt, others fail miserably in accuracy, especially when they overdo the chrome lining. Time and time again Mil and LE demand Colt. If you are going to give a rifle to a 19 year old, ask him to swim in the river, duck for cover in the mud and return fire, Colt holds up. #2, in my opinion is Daniel Defense.

Now, I see the posts from others for specialty barrels, and do not argue. Noveske (Pac-NOR), Centurion, et. al. are well respected. I am talking about my experience and what I see in the tactical environment.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Durability is important to me, as it will occasionally be run on a MG lower, and I iplan on having it a long time, in what is potentially a social and political climate where parts are hard to obtain or ridiculously expensive. Which is the reason I don’t just want a piece crap that will shoot out in 10k rounds. I have had non chrome bores corrode on me before, and partially attributed this to storage and not thoroughly cleaning or oiling when stored. No experience with nitride bores, so I don’t know if this applies there, hence why I included it. Best info so far has been gas port info on noveske and a pm about the BA DD run. So, thanks to those who gave solid info.
    I have an 11.5 BCM BFH barrel, 11.5 Colt HRT barrel, 10.3 BA QPQ barrel, as well as a 10.5 LMT barrel. I really think I favor my HRT barrel. I just love that heavy profile barrel. This might be of particular interest to you, as you say your upper will be on a MG lower. The barrel I’ve really been wanting, is an FN CHF SOCOM profile in 10.3 or cut down to 10.3. There’s a reason the SOCOM profile came about; More durability, especially under sustained heavy F/A fire.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)

Thoughts or suggestions?

Hodge Defense barrels if and when you can find and get them are probably the most durable AR medium weight barrels that you can get. Spike's Tactical /FN 14.5" 5.56 NATO CHF Optimal Profile 1:7 Mid-Length Barrel is also an excellent medium weight (24.4 oz stripped) hard use barrel and the mid-gas barrel's gas port is sized at .076 and functions with a wide pressure range of ammo.

http://www.optactical.com/hode5nabar.html

http://www.primaryarms.com/spikes-ta...-56-sb51406-ml
    Last edited by Biggy; 04-02-18 at 20:52.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast