Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for absolute most durable barrel.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by longshot2000 View Post
    It is not a Geissle product. The USASOC front end is G and DD parts.

Commercially G is assembling. For military, DD is assembling.

They are using a Daniel Defense 14.5” mid-length gas system M4 barrel with a DD Mk12 has block and Surefire 4-prong f/h and old Colt uppers. Nothing new. The Geissle rail and AIrborne charging handle are new. The c/h is actually different from the one commercially available.
    I get that, I read everything Bill G posted on TOS, however Id rather not speculate that they are simply using DD's commercial barrel specs. Considering the .mil likes to put tens of thousands of rounds down range in testing and since this is a SOF specific upper they spec things however they see fit. Either way it would validate or contradict certain companies gas port sizing choices.

Feedback Score
    BA CHF hanson barrel was delivered. Got it installed in, pending torque on the barrel nut and pin the gas tube. Fit/finish is high, there is a nice recessed crown on the muzzle. I did not measure gas port, as I trust the company and will find out if it works when I run it. Will report back soon enough, but going out of town for 2-3 weeks for mil. Will be running on LMT ebcg and A5. Will start with an A5 standard weight, and I have an H0 to try as well. Will probably end up with A5H1 in there, we'll see. Will test with a rugged surge in short config to see about suppressed use. I'm a big fan of the medium profiles.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Current Noveske N4s are overgassed and at over $450 for whats basically a FN CHF barrel with a special profile, overpriced. These days you can get FN CHF for $300 and under, you just need to find one with your specs.

I'm assuming this thread is in regards to 14.5 barrels. I don't know if a .071 port, 12.5 CHF Noveske is over gassed; it doesn't feel like it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDiver06 View Post
    I'm assuming this thread is in regards to 14.5 barrels. I don't know if a .071 port, 12.5 CHF Noveske is over gassed; it doesn't feel like it.
    It's a bit healthy based purely on numbers... CA's is only .065. I agree, it certainly doesn't feel like it. Feels bordering on sluggish with an A5H3.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Crocs View Post
    It's a bit healthy based purely on numbers... CA's is only .065. I agree, it certainly doesn't feel like it. Feels bordering on sluggish with an A5H3.
    Where I shoot here in Washington state; generally cold and at a degree of altitude... with a .065 port on a 12.5 unsuppressed barrel I would not be confident in 100% reliable operation with heavy fouling.
    But for a dedicated suppressed set up I suspect I'd be good to go.

I've not tested any buffer weight heavier than a H2 equivalent in this rifle but I'm currently running an A5H1 with a 7.62 rifle spring and prefer that impulse better than a 5.56 spring and/or a lighter buffer.
    Atypical voodoo to most but I like it.
    Last edited by DirtDiver06; 04-09-18 at 00:25.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDiver06 View Post
    Where I shoot here in Washington state; generally cold and at a degree of altitude... with a .065 port on a 12.5 unsuppressed barrel I would not be confident in 100% reliable operation with heavy fouling.
    But for a dedicated suppressed set up I suspect I'd be good to go.

I've not tested any buffer weight heavier than a H2 equivalent in this rifle but I'm currently running an A5H1 with a 7.62 rifle spring and prefer that impulse better than a 5.56 spring and/or a lighter buffer.
    Atypical voodoo to most but I like it.
    Sounds like something to try. Thanks for sharing!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Hodge barrel made by FN with his material and bore dimension specs.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HammeredSole View Post
    Durability is important to me, as it will occasionally be run on a MG lower, and I iplan on having it a long time, in what is potentially a social and political climate where parts are hard to obtain or ridiculously expensive.
    Like buffer springs, bolts, etc. If that is the concern it might make sense to pick up at least one or two extra quality or value barrels now and hold onto them while simultaneously replacing the ones you're using.

A lot of people do the same with standard capacity mags. You're going to use it someday whether they're easy to get or hard. They're consumables and given that

"barrels are like the tires on a car" Frank Galli

like springs or mags or extractors, they will wear out over time... especially on a full auto lower.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post
    Like buffer springs, bolts, etc. If that is the concern it might make sense to pick up at least one or two extra quality or value barrels now and hold onto them while simultaneously replacing the ones you're using.

A lot of people do the same with standard capacity mags. You're going to use it someday whether they're easy to get or hard. They're consumables and given that

"barrels are like the tires on a car" Frank Galli

like springs or mags or extractors, they will wear out over time... especially on a full auto lower.
    Barrels are indeed like car tires, and as long as the other performance characteristics are similar, treadware is very integral to deciding.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HammeredSole View Post
    BA CHF hanson barrel was delivered. Got it installed in, pending torque on the barrel nut and pin the gas tube. Fit/finish is high, there is a nice recessed crown on the muzzle. I did not measure gas port, as I trust the company and will find out if it works when I run it. Will report back soon enough, but going out of town for 2-3 weeks for mil. Will be running on LMT ebcg and A5. Will start with an A5 standard weight, and I have an H0 to try as well. Will probably end up with A5H1 in there, we'll see. Will test with a rugged surge in short config to see about suppressed use. I'm a big fan of the medium profiles.
    Just saw this today.Whats the consensus on who makes these DD or FN? How's it gassed? Unlike you I dont trust companies, they will gas their barrels to minimize the amount of returns from people running shitty ammo through them not to optimize function.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 06-24-18 at 16:00.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast