Thread: Tail cap switches seem to be dissapearing

Feedback Score

Tail cap switches seem to be dissapearing

After my Jetbeam BC10 died after about five years of ECD use I went online to buy its replacement to find out that the highly desirable tail cap switch is no longer found on nearly as many small light models as it used to be.
    To me it's the perfect location for a light switch on a pocket size flashlight. They seem to have gone back to a twist type switch or a small button on the side of the body on most of their more recent models.
    Both JetBeam and Fenix seem to be going this route.
    Any known reason why the tail cap switches are going away?
    High failure rate maybe?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Tail cap switches add a lot of length to a 1 cell pocket light. I would guess that in the quest for the smallest pocket light they are going for size savings.

However there are LOTS of choices nowadays and new lights are hitting the market all the time. I would think sites like Battery Junction would have something for you... The Nitecore EC11 looks pretty cool!

I currently have a Surefire Titan Plus for true pocket carry and a Klarus XT11GT or Surefire Tactician for SD carry.

Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 03-25-18 at 02:51.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your reply

They do add some length but to me it's always been worth it for the convenience.
    Anyhoo, I did just now order a JetBeam SF-AA01 that is on sale at Illumn and it does have the tail cap switch.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I've been carrying a Jetbeam BC10 daily for several years myself. I'm really disappointed to find it's been discontinued. Let us know how the new model works out for you.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AG42b View Post
    After my Jetbeam BC10 died after about five years of ECD use I went online to buy its replacement to find out that the highly desirable tail cap switch is no longer found on nearly as many small light models as it used to be.
    To me it's the perfect location for a light switch on a pocket size flashlight. They seem to have gone back to a twist type switch or a small button on the side of the body on most of their more recent models.
    Both JetBeam and Fenix seem to be going this route.
    Any known reason why the tail cap switches are going away?
    High failure rate maybe?
    There are plenty of choices for a single battery led light with a tailcap switch. Unless you want some lumen monster or something that is super teeny tiny you are spoiled for choice.
    If you can't win a gun fight against a lightly-trained individual during broad daylight with 88 rounds of 30-06, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it with... any other firearm.
    -Fjallhrafn
    Ok, I've got an El Camino full of rampage here, so what's the plan?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    I've been carrying a Jetbeam BC10 daily for several years myself. I'm really disappointed to find it's been discontinued. Let us know how the new model works out for you.
    The new one works fine so far...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have one of these.

https://www.fenixlighting.com/produc...ix-flashlight/

May pick one of these up due to the bidirectional clip though.

https://www.streamlight.com/en/produ...ex/protac-1aaa