Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe to reload mixed 5.56/.223 brass? (5.56 chambered rifle)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Safe to reload mixed 5.56/.223 brass? (5.56 chambered rifle)

Okay, so I have a pretty basic question, but first let me explain what I'm NOT asking. I'm not asking if I can shoot 5.56x45mm in a .223 rifle. I'm not asking the difference between .223, .223 Wylde, and 5.56x45. I know what a crimped primer pocket is. ALL of these reloads will be fired in 5.56 chambered rifles.

I'm looking to buy some brass in bulk for my AR so that I can really put my XL650 to good use. The best deals on brass involve mixed lots of once-fired 5.56 & .223. Am I going to run into any problems down the road by using the brass interchangeably in moderate handloads? Should I pay more for brass that is all 5.56 but still contains mixed headstamps? I'm not after match accuracy, and I understand there's a pressure difference between the two, but I would not be loading my plinking rounds to maximum anyway.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    My preference is to order from Brass Bombers, and select Lake City brass. It's not that much more expensive, and I don't have to worry about crap brass or pressure variations or whatever.

Hell, I pay the premium for cleaned, deprimed, and swaged pockets. It's worth it to me.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    Okay, so I have a pretty basic question, but first let me explain what I'm NOT asking. I'm not asking if I can shoot 5.56x45mm in a .223 rifle. I'm not asking the difference between .223, .223 Wylde, and 5.56x45. I know what a crimped primer pocket is. ALL of these reloads will be fired in 5.56 chambered rifles.

I'm looking to buy some brass in bulk for my AR so that I can really put my XL650 to good use. The best deals on brass involve mixed lots of once-fired 5.56 & .223. Am I going to run into any problems down the road by using the brass interchangeably in moderate handloads? Should I pay more for brass that is all 5.56 but still contains mixed headstamps? I'm not after match accuracy, and I understand there's a pressure difference between the two, but I would not be loading my plinking rounds to maximum anyway.
    To answer your question...no, you will not have any problem using mixed brass.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The key is what you said, "moderate handloads." If chasing max NATO loads then muxed cases means variable case capacities and pressures generated. At moderate loads (e.g., SAAMI) it will be fine.

And it is not simply military versus commercial. Some commercial is smaller volume than military, I think S&B and Fiocchi for instance.

Have fun with all that brass. I am just finishing up prepping 1,250 LC cases I git from Kaleo arms for $80, including a nice .50 cal ammo can it came in. The brass was not prepped but the cleanest once fired I've ever bought.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As others have mentioned, you should be fine. However, you may notice an inconsistent "feel" as you cycle through it all. I have found sizing and seating primers to have varying levels of resistance across the differing head stamps. YMMV

If you have a case feeder on that 650, I'm jealous... I am currently processing a few thousand mixed head stamp .223/5.56 brass through a 550. The loading by hand and then case trimming off press tests my patience. So much so that I looked at a 650 and other non-Dillon progressives with case feeders just for my case prep.
    Last edited by TxRaptor; 03-26-18 at 17:39.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Most brass will yield no difference. However I happened to chrono some MEN 5.56 brass a few weeks back and noticed I got over 40 fps gain in velocity. There are kinds of brass out there that will impact your velocity.

I've reluctantly gone to loading my 77s in LC brass only... and using all other brass for 62 gr hpbt. I hate sorting .223 brass, so I've settled on that simple remedy.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Most brass will yield no difference. However I happened to chrono some MEN 5.56 brass a few weeks back and noticed I got over 40 fps gain in velocity. There are kinds of brass out there that will impact your velocity.

I've reluctantly gone to loading my 77s in LC brass only... and using all other brass for 62 gr hpbt. I hate sorting .223 brass, so I've settled on that simple remedy.
    That's what I do as well. My "premium" handloads, especially 77s are only loaded in LC cases because I found them to be the most consistent over the years. My plinking, practice ammo goes into mixed headstamp brass, none of which push the NATO max.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    I also buy bulk preprocessed brass from Brass Bombers https://brassbombers.com/Lake-City_c42.htm

Brass Bombers does not buy brass from public ranges, and the 5.56 cases come from military ranges. Meaning these cases are not Lake City cases sold by Federal and may be rejects from Lake City.

Once Fired Military Brass

Welcome to Brass Bombers where you can find quality once fired military brass for reloading. Our calibers include: .223/5.56, .308/7.62, 9mm, 50 BMG and 300 Win Mag. We source our brass directly from US Military auctions. Law Enforcement Pistol Brass includes: 357 Sig & 40 S&W (Brass & Nickel)

Below using Quickload and using the top Lake City case at 30.6 case capacity and the bottom Old Lapua at 28.0 case capacity for chamber pressures.

Using a load of 25 grains of H335 and a 55 grain Hornady FMJBT the old Lapua case will have a 6,000 psi higher chamber pressure than the Lake City case.

As long as you stay within the upper cases in this chart with 30.0 plus case capacity you will not have any problems.

That being said it is far easier to buy bulk Lake City cases for uniformity and they are made from harder brass than commercial .223 cases.

Below you can see the Lake City 5.56 cases are above average in weight uniformity.

How Hard is Your Brass? 5.56 and .223 Rem Base Hardness Tests ( Lake City 5.56 cases have the hardest brass and thicker flash hole webs, meaning longer primer pocket life)
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...ardness-tests/

Last edited by bigedp51; 03-27-18 at 15:04.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post

This is what I do as well, though not reluctantly (haha). .223 brass seems to differ little between headstamps. I’ve shot 10-shot groups with a LC/62 gr HPBT/8208 XBR combo that shot just over one MOA against the same load but using mixed brass and saw no appreciable difference in velocity or accuracy.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    That's what I do as well. My "premium" handloads, especially 77s are only loaded in LC cases because I found them to be the most consistent over the years. My plinking, practice ammo goes into mixed headstamp brass, none of which push the NATO max.
    I hate sorting it off, but there's a handful of brass I've not checked (Wolf Gold, etc) that could be messing with me. I don't want to chrono research every oddball brass flavor.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast