Thread: Blackhills .223 55 grain TSX good for?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Blackhills .223 55 grain TSX good for?

What would you use this load for if you got a good deal ($25/50) and picked up several hundred rounds? I know how I would use 5.56 50 or 70 grain TSX but not sure of a good purpose for this stuff.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'd pull the bullets, sell them, and use the brass/powder to make good ammo.

(I'm not sure of a good purpose for that stuff either.) I'm a card carrying member of the OTM lovers society.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    The TSX would make a nasty duty round in .223.

I’ve used the TTSX bullet in 7mm 140gr on stuff, and it will punch a hole in one side and exit the other the size of a golf ball. Destroys everything in its path.

I wouldn’t want to get shot with one, that’s for damn sure.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    The TSX would make a nasty duty round in .223.

I’ve used the TTSX bullet in 7mm 140gr on stuff, and it will punch a hole in one side and exit the other the size of a golf ball. Destroys everything in its path.

I wouldn’t want to get shot with one, that’s for damn sure.
    The 55gr TSX was reworked into the 50gr TSX made from a different ally because it was shearing petals and wasn’t as effective as a duty round as originally hoped.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    What would you use this load for if you got a good deal ($25/50) and picked up several hundred rounds? I know how I would use 5.56 50 or 70 grain TSX but not sure of a good purpose for this stuff.
    Varmint hunting. Id imagine its very effective on coyotes and flat shooting to 300yds.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I use the 50gr variety for short barrelled rifles due to its high velocity, flat trajectory to 200, and performance on soft targets inside that range.
    I was unaware of the performance issues pointed out above, so if I was using it to drft hogs I would keep shots forward of the gristle plate.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    I scored some of the Black Hills 50 TSX some time ago when they first came out and shot 3 different pigs with it. Using several dozens of pigs and deer shot with 53, 55, and 70 grain TSX to set my expectations, the 50 TSX in all 3 cases did not give the expected results. All 3 ran for 75+ yards and were not recovered. I intentionally shot through lungs rather than head/neck to see how they would perform. After each one I reconfirmed zero and it was spot on.

I have not hunted with the round since and I am still scratching my head at the results. To this day, they are the only 3 I have not recovered when shot with the TSX and I have recovered many lung shot right where I held with these.

The 55 and 70 grain TSX are still my hunting rounds for the AR, and I only hunt 300 Blackout or 308 with TSX as well. With the gel tests posted I have to wonder if there was a bad lot that did not expand or if this is the most inconvenient of coincidences. Mine were all fired with 16" barrels.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    The 55gr TSX was reworked into the 50gr TSX made from a different ally because it was shearing petals and wasn’t as effective as a duty round as originally hoped.
    Thanks for the heads up on that. My experience with the larger caliber tipped version made me think it would be more effective. The one’s I’ve used are just flat out nasty, good accuracy and devastating when they get there.