Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sig MCX Virtus / Rattler

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Great news is in 1-3 years SIG will have discontinued them, like they do with all their current products save a handful.

At least FN, HK, KAC, and the others make a product and keep it around for awhile. Then again they are all typically for .mil contracts, as opposed to whatever model SIG has.

YMMV.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Great news is in 1-3 years SIG will have discontinued them, like they do with all their current products save a handful.

At least FN, HK, KAC, and the others make a product and keep it around for awhile. Then again they are all typically for .mil contracts, as opposed to whatever model SIG has.

YMMV.
    That is a possibility but other makers have also done that. I know H&K has done it more than a few times in their product line in the past. Hell, the way this country is going they could all be banned along with sky high ammo prices in 1-3 years and we won't have to worry about any of it. LOL
    Last edited by Biggy; 03-29-18 at 00:00.

Feedback Score
    I just was having a conversation with a gentleman that came from the unit that asked Sig to develop it. So I have been thinking about the whole concept of a 5.5" rifle barrel.

I figure the FPS depending on bullet weight is 1700 to 1900.

Then I look at the Underwood 9mm 65 grain xtreme defender which they claim goes 1700FPS out of what I assume is a handgun length barrel and I wonder what this round would do out of my 7,75 " barrel in my mini Uzi. The Uzi would give a lot less blast and flash than a rifle round out of a 5,5" gun. Plus in the same space as what 1 rifle mag takes to carry you could carry 2 Uzi mags.

So as "cool" as it is, I wonder if for serious work it is up to the task. Or could we achieve better results by stuffing some more exotic ammo in out MP5 or closed bolt mini Uzi?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I think it is hit and miss. Looks like you got a good one!

C4
    That one wasn't mine. I haven't cared enough to bench mine yet considering the role I have it in maxes out at the end of my hallway. Mine has been utterly reliable even in neg 20 degree weather. I have shot a few different virtus guns in 5.56 and 300blk and they all shot accurately. Sig seems to be putting in more than their normal level of effort into the MCX and I think it is becoming one of the better rifles on the market, which is a big statement coming from me given my rather complicated opinion of the company. Some rather serious organizations have taken notice of the MCX and Sig is generating a lot of momentum. Even a few of the PD's around me bought a bunch of Virtus rifles with matching cans for all their Squad cars. I think Sig would be wise to bundle these with their P320's for PD's to get them out there in the LE community. It is on them to not **** it up. They have all the ingredients, they just need to resist sticking their dick in the pie when it comes out of the oven.

I am curious about the overpriced comment though. It is a radical departure from the ar15, to the point were it is almost not fair to compare it. It has a CHF barrel, E3 type bolt(goes a step further with the tapered lugs), Folding Stock that does not impede function, Piston, Adjustable gas block, completely modular, replaceable steel inserts and all metal upper and lower. I always joked that this rifle was design by a committee that didn't say no to any features. The upper is made from 6061 aluminum(Rattler is 7075), I will give you that, but it was designed to be so from the get go so it should be fine(No one complains about the Scar using 6000 series Aluminum). Yet it is hundreds less than the Scar which is half plastic. There are plenty of Ar15 rifles that are sitting on shelves for more money that don't have a fraction of the features or R&D behind them. There is nothing else on the market like it, and the Army went sole source on the PDW after about a year with no one submitting anything close to what they wanted other than Sig.
    Last edited by call_me_ski; 03-29-18 at 00:43.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by krm375 View Post
    I think the Rattler was more a mp5 SD replacement than an AK replacement.. The Rattler has a 5.5 inch and the Virtus has a 9 inch, and I think there is a 6.75 inch barrel as well. I have not put my hands on any of the models except for the old 1st gen MCX and I have been waiting till the bugs have been worked out before I dug into my research into them more.
    Tier one units have been using the MCX's in 300blk as the MP5 SD replacement for years now.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    That one wasn't mine. I haven't cared enough to bench mine yet considering the role I have it in maxes out at the end of my hallway. Mine has been utterly reliable even in neg 20 degree weather. I have shot a few different virtus guns in 5.56 and 300blk and they all shot accurately. Sig seems to be putting in more than their normal level of effort into the MCX and I think it is becoming one of the better rifles on the market, which is a big statement coming from me given my rather complicated opinion of the company. Some rather serious organizations have taken notice of the MCX and Sig is generating a lot of momentum. Even a few of the PD's around me bought a bunch of Virtus rifles with matching cans for all their Squad cars. I think Sig would be wise to bundle these with their P320's for PD's to get them out there in the LE community. It is on them to not **** it up. They have all the ingredients, they just need to resist sticking their dick in the pie when it comes out of the oven.

I am curious about the overpriced comment though. It is a radical departure from the ar15, to the point were it is almost not fair to compare it. It has a CHF barrel, E3 type bolt(goes a step further with the tapered lugs), Folding Stock that does not impede function, Piston, Adjustable gas block, completely modular, replaceable steel inserts and all metal upper and lower. I always joked that this rifle was design by a committee that didn't say no to any features. The upper is made from 6061 aluminum(Rattler is 7075), I will give you that, but it was designed to be so from the get go so it should be fine(No one complains about the Scar using 6000 series Aluminum). Yet it is hundreds less than the Scar which is half plastic. There are plenty of Ar15 rifles that are sitting on shelves for more money that don't have a fraction of the features or R&D behind them. There is nothing else on the market like it, and the Army went sole source on the PDW after about a year with no one submitting anything close to what they wanted other than Sig.
    Yeah, the gen one MCX and MPX's didn't run well suppressed, weren't accurate and had recalls. Knowing SIG as I do, they do a fantastic job of creating product (that wasn't fully tested) and then releasing it. Then, doing a recall and then creating a GEN 2 version. From a dealer standpoint, I have watched them raise prices just about every year and also remove things like sights. They are always finding ways to cheapen their products. Where as companies like BCM and B&T are putting more money into theirs....

C4

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Yeah, the gen one MCX and MPX's didn't run well suppressed, weren't accurate and had recalls. Knowing SIG as I do, they do a fantastic job of creating product (that wasn't fully tested) and then releasing it. Then, doing a recall and then creating a GEN 2 version. From a dealer standpoint, I have watched them raise prices just about every year and also remove things like sights. They are always finding ways to cheapen their products. Where as companies like BCM and B&T are putting more money into theirs....

C4
    Hah, I said the same thing about the new P365...I want one, but waiting for the inevitable gen 2.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    Hah, I said the same thing about the new P365...I want one, but waiting for the inevitable gen 2.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Yep. Prime example. Having held that gun (with the short mag), it will end up eating shooters hands up. Pass. Stick with the Glock 43 or GEN 2 Shield. Tried and true...

C4

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I would much rather have Q Honey Badger for rattler money. Barrel is a little longer (gun is only .7 inches longer in the compressed position) but in talking with Kevin last year at Shot he made a solid case the 7" is the sweet spot for 300 black.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Review is up on americanrifleman.org:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...-patrol-rifle/

Accuracy results taken using the Romeo4T unmagnified optic. 2MOA reticle.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast