Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Gen Kimber Classic Custom

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Sample of one pre series II. Carried on duty for 3 years in factory configuration with the exception of replaced extractor and sights. Eventually I replaced the ignition parts as after about 20k the hammer started to follow dropping on empty chamber on malfunction drills. It has been through multiple LE firearms courses, and a couple competition based trainings. After about 50k it got retired from carry and got regulated strictly to USPSA. Added a Smith and Alexander mag well and eventually replaced that with a Dawson mag well because gamer. Pulled it out to shoot the USPSA Single Stack Nationals last year and other than the extractor claw breaking off (which is the one I put in about 70k ago) during a club match it continued to run like a champ. Replaced the extractor and continues to chug along. Needs a new barrel as the accuracy is starting to degrade due to the throat showing obvious wear.

It gets cleaned rarely, lubed with bearing grease and motor oil and generally gets abused. The finish wear with the factory blue is really bad and wears quickly.

Jon

IMG_4955.jpg

IMG_4956.jpg

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    What is the difference between the pre-series II and the series II?
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    What is the difference between the pre-series II and the series II?
    Mostly the Schwartz Firing Pin Safety junk.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Series II has the Schwartz firing pin safety stuff, and the quality control started to go down as they started making a crap load of different models.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    As others said, the old Kimber (pre firing pin safety doodad) were good and tough guns. I had a couple and never had any problems. A friend of mine had several and shot tens of thousand rounds in them in IDPA. He had one that he had John Harrison customized, with a integral magwell, checkered front strap, trigger job, hard chrome frame, fiber optic front sight, Ed Brown beavertail and thumb safety, etc. One of the nicest custom Kimbers I've ever seen.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glazer1972 View Post
    There is no firing pin safety junk in the early models.
    I'm aware. People think there is a big difference between an old Kimber and a new one. There's not. They were always full of MIM and weren't any better fit than anything they make now. Their ugly years were when they tried the external extractor. The Series II makes them a non-starter for most 1911 guys as it's a flawed system and is a liability.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Late to the party- did the OP buy that Pre Series 1? If not, he should just put out the world re where it is at because somebody here would snap it right up.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    I'm aware. People think there is a big difference between an old Kimber and a new one. There's not. They were always full of MIM and weren't any better fit than anything they make now. Their ugly years were when they tried the external extractor. The Series II makes them a non-starter for most 1911 guys as it's a flawed system and is a liability.
    I have a Yonkers marked series I. The big difference, other than the lack of the firing guns pin safety is the QC of the guns and the parts. These are the guns which made Kimbers reputation, undeserved as it might be today.

Yes, it is full of MIM, yes it is a rack grade gun. However, all MIM is not created equal. HK pistols are full of MIM and they work fine. The real issue came when Ron Cohen came in to trade on Kimbers good name while cutting QC to increase profits, a model he would repeat at SIG.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zen_grasshopper View Post
    Sample of one pre series II. Carried on duty for 3 years in factory configuration with the exception of replaced extractor and sights. Eventually I replaced the ignition parts as after about 20k the hammer started to follow dropping on empty chamber on malfunction drills. It has been through multiple LE firearms courses, and a couple competition based trainings. After about 50k it got retired from carry and got regulated strictly to USPSA. Added a Smith and Alexander mag well and eventually replaced that with a Dawson mag well because gamer. Pulled it out to shoot the USPSA Single Stack Nationals last year and other than the extractor claw breaking off (which is the one I put in about 70k ago) during a club match it continued to run like a champ. Replaced the extractor and continues to chug along. Needs a new barrel as the accuracy is starting to degrade due to the throat showing obvious wear.

It gets cleaned rarely, lubed with bearing grease and motor oil and generally gets abused. The finish wear with the factory blue is really bad and wears quickly.

Jon

IMG_4955.jpg

IMG_4956.jpg
    Awesome gun. Regarding finish wear, I kind of like the worn look. I have a Les Baer with DLC and the lack of honest wear bothers me for some reason. It’s like Dorian Gray’s pistol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12