Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LMT MWS 308 Upper and Mega MATEN Lower: The Forbidden Love Affair (UPDATED)

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

LMT MWS 308 Upper and Mega MATEN Lower: The Forbidden Love Affair (UPDATED)

So weird title right? Weird, but I think some truth behind it. We'll see.

There's a story behind the lower receiver that ended up on my LMT MWS 308 upper. But the bottom line is: It Works. And it works very well. So I thought I'd throw some pics up. Initially I was wondering if I was going to be able to match the FDE on my LMT upper, but after looking at it, and following the suggestion of a friend to run some black rail covers, I decided to leave it as is. I really like it.

What i like more than the looks is how it shoots. I was tinkering around with the idea of building a Recce style AR in a heavier caliber. One, it would give me a greater range. I still wanted to be able to pound out 800m shots with authority, and I wanted a manageable AR in the short range. Ultimately, it will wear a 1-8, I think I'm leaning towards the Trijicon 1-8, but for now, its "borrowing" my 1-4 PST. In due time.

So if you were ever wondering, "Will an LMT upper bolt onto a Mega lower?" The answer is yes, yes it will. One caveat though...I had to really "encourage" the take-down pin in and "encourage" it back out.. It doesn't appear to be damaging the upper take-down hole at all, but it's definitely not a push in and push out kind of pin.

I have taken it to the range with the Mega MATEN lower - just once, test firing different ammo, but it when I shot some Federal Gold 175gr SMK, it did manage to shoot sub MOA. I was expecting 1 MOA and would have been happy, but I only shot about 5 match rounds, as I was cycling through the ammo I store. I will say that from 147 MEN to 175 SMK, it chewed up everything I fed it - with and without the can. Hopefully after I get another batch of Federal Gold 175 SMKs I can sit down and do some serious shooting and post up a range report.

But as it stands, I absolutely LOVE my LM-Mega-T.. (Ok, I just made that up and it is kinda corny. LOL)

Quick rundown on the parts I am using. The Mega MATEN lower comes with bolt catch release, the ambi bolt catch release, Take-Down and Pivot Pins installed. To complete the rifle, I installed:
    • KAC 0-600M Front and Rear sights
    • Raptor 7.62 charging handle
    • BAD-CASS short throw selector switch
    • LaRue MBT-2S trigger (With an overall 4.5 lb break, in my opinion, this is the PERFECT trigger for the purpose of this AR. I didn't want the light break on my precision rifles (Timney and SSA-E), but for a Recce/battle rifle, the MBT-2S is spot on.
    • DSG Arms bill mag catch button, mil spec mag catch lever
    • Forward Controls 10.9 LB mag catch spring
    • UBR 2.0 stock
    • Carbine buffer (I pulled out the steel weights from a spare carbine buffer, and the weights from an A5H4, and built out the weight on the carbine buffer. The Carbine buffer weighs in right at 4.7 oz, just a hair over H2 weight, and seems to work fine.
    • Sprinco 308 Red Spring.
    • AAC Brake-out 2.0 muzzle brake for use with my 762-SDN-6
    • Inforce Gen 2 WML
    • Hogue over-sized pistol grip w/ cargo management (Batteries for the scope and WML)

As stated with my AAC 762-SDN-6 suppressor, it ran all of my ammo (Freedom 175gr RM, MEN 147, Priv 147, Tula, ZQI 7.62x51, Perfecta, Winchester 150, Hornady 150, and of course Federal Gold 175 SMK)

I'm really impressed with the Mega MATEN lower. The finish and quality of the lower is really evident. It's very well made. There's one aspect I didn't take into account, and that was my inexperience with this type of ambi bolt release. It's not difficult to hit the mag catch when your reaching for the bolt release. Most of my AR-15's have Troy ambi's and so my right forefinger is used to releasing the bot. That's the main reason I bought the Ambi, I just didnt' realize how easy it would be to hit the mag release if you aren't paying close attn. I'll correct this by training with a lot of short mags and trying to stress my body physically hopefully really wear this action into my brain. As it stands, I have this lower and I'm not going to buy another just to replace it. I could also change how I action the lower, but I'll doing what I'm used to.

I really couldn't be happier with how the rifle turned out. I know it's not "pure", but it functions as designed and it functions well!!

Pics!!!

Fit is nice and tight

My friend suggested I use black rail covers to try and tie in the black lower. Well being the Texan, about the only black rail covers I own are LaRue index clips (thanks docsherm for restocking my black )
    I really think it did the trick.

and lastly, if you're wondering just what the LMT upper looked like on the "Not The Right Lower" Aero lower? Well here it is.
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 04-24-18 at 01:20.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Nice rifle, what is the barrel length?

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

LMT MWS 308 Upper and Mega MATEN Lower: The Forbidden Love Affair

Quote Originally Posted by pbjb View Post
    Nice rifle, what is the barrel length?
    Thanks pb. 16”, rifle length gas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Great write up RTT. Looks awesome how it's setup with the mix of black and FDE. I think your on the right track with the 1-8 in your future. Weren't your 5 round groups in the .75inch range with the FGMM? If so that's a tack driver.

I would also try to use closer an H3 if your able in that gun with the suppressor. Even thought the barrel is a chop down to 16 rifle gas, I would bet you would be pleased with slightly heavier H3.

Awesome build!
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info. Did you have a 20 inch barrel cut do? My 16 in barrel's gas block is under the rail.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    Great write up RTT. Looks awesome how it's setup with the mix of black and FDE. I think your on the right track with the 1-8 in your future. Weren't your 5 round groups in the .75inch range with the FGMM? If so that's a tack driver.

I would also try to use closer an H3 if your able in that gun with the suppressor. Even thought the barrel is a chop down to 16 rifle gas, I would bet you would be pleased with slightly heavier H3.

Awesome build!
    Yep, that's what my groups were at. And I am GTG/Happy/Mike Tyson's "Etthatic" with that. RE: the buffer. The weights that came out of the old carbine buffer, looked gray and I assume are lead. The weights that I pulled out of the A5H4 were silver, are those titanium or just steel you think? Luckily carbine h3 buffers aren't the gianormus PITA that any A5 over an H0 is to find.. Thanks for the advice!
    ~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Thanks for the info. Did you have a 20 inch barrel cut do? My 16 in barrel's gas block is under the rail.
    Are you sure you have rifle gas or maybe it's carbine or mid gas?
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 03-29-18 at 11:42.
    ~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Your 16 inch barrel would not be a rifle gas. Guys usually cut 20 inch rifle gas barrels to 16 to tame down the overgassed issue running suppressed with the MWS barrels.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Hey Robert,
    How are you liking the MBT trigger? I got one with my UU kit but have yet to use it.

That is a great looking build you have there. Is this replacing the other AP 308 build you did or be serving a different role?

Thanks,
    Mike

Sent from my PIP-BOY 3000 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    A Noveske lower should work too. I have a Mega Mater Upper set and it fits on my Noveske lower... But the fit is TIGHT. I didn't do a function test.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast