Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LMT MWS 308 Upper and Mega MATEN Lower: The Forbidden Love Affair (UPDATED)

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vandal5 View Post
    Hey Robert,
    How are you liking the MBT trigger? I got one with my UU kit but have yet to use it.

That is a great looking build you have there. Is this replacing the other AP 308 build you did or be serving a different role?

Thanks,
    Mike

Sent from my PIP-BOY 3000 using Tapatalk
    Thanks Mike! I love the MBT trigger, especially for the purpose of this 308. I still have my other AP 308, and I consider it one of my precision AR’s. The LMT shoots about .75 MOA, but my AP, can do .41 but usually hovers around .55-.61 ‘MOA. It really is an accurate rifle.
    So some boring background. I really like Recce rifles. An AR that can be used in CQC and still reach out several hundred yards to engage threats, is very useful in my opinion. But if I could change or improve one thing it would be the caliber - instead of 5.56, a heavier hitting caliber with even more range, and at that distant range still wield a wallop. (And follow my Rule of Commonality.) A 308 in a 16” rifle gas would fit that bill perfectly I thought. So when JW saw the LMT on the E&E he messaged me and the rest is history.
    Working out the lower was a little stressful, but in spite of reading on multiple forums that it would not work - it did work.

Now for the MBT. I think it’s perfect for this setup. 4.5 LB of total break makes for a good combat trigger, maybe not heavy enough for some, but it works for me.
    The reset is short enough that you can pound them down range if needed, yet it breaks so clean I found that it was not any hinderance in the precision shots.
    Granted with the current optic, I’m not reaching out to 800m but when I get the 1-8 optic that will change with it and I think the MBT will handle the precision aspect extremely well. I’ve also ran MBT’s in my SPR and also while testing it against an SD-C, I ran it in a 12” SBR. I do believe you will like it. If you are a fan of Geissele, I’m pretty confident you’ll like the MBT.
    Thanks again Mike and sorry for the drawn out post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JRHorne View Post
    A Noveske lower should work too. I have a Mega Mater Upper set and it fits on my Noveske lower... But the fit is TIGHT. I didn't do a function test.
    Good to know. My fit is good pretty normal.but that rear takedown need some encouragement to go in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

LMT MWS 308 Upper and Mega MATEN Lower: The Forbidden Love Affair (UPDATED)

My original plan was to pick up a Trijicon 1-8. I felt the Trijicon 1-8 was the perfect optic for this rifle, and I liked the reticle choices., and the reputation. BLUF: I wanted an optic that could run CQ and also stretch it out down range. In the end it didn’t really work out that way. First thing that happened is I ran across a deal on a Geiselle SOPMOD mount that I literally could not pass up. By literally could not pass up I mean exactly that. Even at the great deal, it still bit into my optic fund, but that’s ok, I could just wait a little longer, save up a little more. Then I had a couple of my forums friends told me about an excellent deal for a Burris XTR II 1-8 that popped up on the E&E. Having owned an XTR II 5-25x50, I already knew it was a quality optic. I really like the ruggedness of the optic. The Japanese glass is as clear as anything I’ve ever looked through, and a reticle that I really liked and picked up on naturally.

Took it out for the first time this weekend and ran some drills with it. The optic was everything I was looking for, and the Geiselle mount - well it’s just solid as a tank without the weight. And the eye relief? A solid 3.8 at 1x and 8x. Very forgiving too!!
    I also pulled the KAC 0-600 BUIS off, and mounted some Magpul Pro offsets. Mainly because those are the only offsets I have in my spares, but the Pros aren’t bad BUIS. I will likely pick up some Troy offsets or if I find a magical deal some KAC offsets in the future.

Another observation. I need a shorter, lighter can. Running my 762 SDN-6 on this battle rifle, adds too much weight on the front end. Without the can, running drills, mag changes was not an issue. Definitely not my 12.5 Centurion, but I had no issue, other than hitting my plates after they were swinging like a playground swing in the summer time. But that was good training in itself too.

All in all the rifle is a blast to shoot and I couldn’t be more happy with my first Geissele mount and the Burris optic. Winner winner chicken dinner!

Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 04-24-18 at 03:35.
    ~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Hey Robert,

Glad you are enjoying your new build. Could you please tell me what you have mounted just in front of your scope? My best guess is that it's a level, but can't quite make it out.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vandal5 View Post
    Hey Robert,

Glad you are enjoying your new build. Could you please tell me what you have mounted just in front of your scope? My best guess is that it's a level, but can't quite make it out.

Thanks!

Thanks Vandal.. It’s an USO level minus the cap that’s somewhere off the Lampasas river.
    This pic may show it a little better.

~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12