Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something in my thigh went "POP!"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Something in my thigh went "POP!"

Tuesday was leg day and after a series of leg set's doing presses, curls, extensions etc. I decided to do four sets of twelve squats to top it off.
    During the second set something in my left thigh "popped" while moving the weight up. My left leg went limp, I was lucky to set the bar and get out from under it.
    The pain was ineradicable, the only comparison would be the snap of a bow string. Ice, elevation, isolation, some heat and later some deep tissue massage and I was able to walk on it. It's now Saturday morning and I am able to walk on it without issue, do light cardio with it, but the question is, WTF snapped?
    The pain is definitely not in the knee it seems isolated now four to five inches above the left knee on the left side.
    Curious as to what made that snap.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    Tuesday was leg day and after a series of leg set's doing presses, curls, extensions etc. I decided to do four sets of twelve squats to top it off.
    During the second set something in my left thigh "popped" while moving the weight up. My left leg went limp, I was lucky to set the bar and get out from under it.
    The pain was ineradicable, the only comparison would be the snap of a bow string. Ice, elevation, isolation, some heat and later some deep tissue massage and I was able to walk on it. It's now Saturday morning and I am able to walk on it without issue, do light cardio with it, but the question is, WTF snapped?
    The pain is definitely not in the knee it seems isolated now four to five inches above the left knee on the left side.
    Probably your iliotibial band. I'd rest it for a few weeks, then carefully review your squatting technique. You would find iliotibial band syndrome to be annoying, and disruptive to your exercise routine and this event might be a signal that ITBS is the next stop in this adventure. Might also be a signal that you're...aging.
    Last edited by Hmac; 03-31-18 at 12:15.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Might also be a signal that you're...aging.
    That's exactly what the Little Blonde Girl said, I had to remind her we're the same age.
    I did some very light leg presses today with minimal pain, it actually felt much better after the stretch from that exercise.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I did a full leg workout today minus squats.
    I will attempt some squats with just the bar tomorrow.
    It feels much better now.
    Slow and steady.

Feedback Score
    Do you exercise a lot ? If so step it down a notch. In my experience over exercising can cause this kinda situation.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    WTF snapped?
    Likely a fascial adhesion between vastus lateralis and the ITB. It's easy to deal with.

It's not a sign that you are getting old. It's not a sign that you were over-exercising. It is a sign that you had an issue in your tissue that was responding to stress. These sort of things happen to people of any age and will continue to happen as long as you use your body.

Remember this - you don't get to use your muscles and joints with impunity. They need care just the same as your teeth need brushing. Carry on as normal, but add a few minutes of foam rolling to your routine and find a quality Sports Chiro (or PT) that does soft tissue work like Active Release or Graston. Ideally you want a Doc that lifts weights or runs or whatever as they understand these types of issue best and can help you deal with them better.
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This is still irritated.
    I'm working with it a bit a couple of times a week directly, indirectly it has an influence on a lot of other stuff I do. I was reminded by "She who must be Obeyed" that this is the same leg/knee that I strained body surfing last year.
    What a pisser.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Leg pressing in the range of 250 for four sets with twenty reps.
    Slight pain, but working it has made it better overall.

Feedback Score
    Do you use a roller? I had severe pain in the IT after a hip replacement and using a roller after biking and workouts helped immensely.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've been rolling it out lately, but I've found a more effective tool than a foam roller is actually a small hard rubber ball that can get right on the spot rather than the wide effect of a roller.
    I've gotten it about worked out, but just in time for some soreness in my Achilles tendon/ Inside Calf are on the right leg. So I'm discovering even more indignities of growing older.
    So HIIT sprints will be off of the table for a bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast