Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 7.5 vs. 10.5

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    One other thing to consider (I'm going to stay out of the velocity/effectiveness discussion for now) is that many suppressor companies won't warranty their 5.56 cans when installed on a barrel less than 10.5". Not sure if that is a concern for you, I've just seen too many posts on Silencertalk from owners that bought the gun first and THEN discovered the warranty issue.

Personally, I'd go 9mm for a 7.5" and 5.56 for a 10.5".

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    OK, I will say, or ask, this much about velocities. Anyone know if these numbers are correct? They look about right to me.

M193 impact velocity in human tissue for reliable fragmentation 2700 fps
    M855 = 2600 fps
    Mk262 = 2200 fps

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    One other thing to consider (I'm going to stay out of the velocity/effectiveness discussion for now) is that many suppressor companies won't warranty their 5.56 cans when installed on a barrel less than 10.5". Not sure if that is a concern for you, I've just seen too many posts on Silencertalk from owners that bought the gun first and THEN discovered the warranty issue.

I agree. My first foray into short barreled ARs (aside from my M4) was a Mk. 18 I got to try in Iraq. While the muzzle blast is there it was not at all unbearable and kind of fun. I thought the 7.5" would be cool until I fired a co-workers 7.5" AR pistol...I was not amused. Even with a Noveske KX3 the muzzle blast was outrageous. On the other hand a 7.5" 9mm should be very pleasant even without a can.

I would agree, I think the absolute shortest I would go on a 5.56 barrel is 10.5 (I would prefer 11.5), but a 9mm I would go down to 5.5 even.

Feedback Score
    I would suggest 12.5 inches. That is a nice length. I would never go under 10.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AJNAC4FL View Post
    Steve Troy built me a 7.5" M7A1 this past January. It's perfectly reliable and fun to shoot. Steve uses nothing but the best. I had the honor and privelage to assist him assemble it at his shop.

Believe it or not, against all adversity, there are still some great manufacturers, gun dealers and 2nd Amendment supporters in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts.

http://www.troyind.com/m7a1.html

Mike Butler
    I have one of those one it's way to me. I'm excited :-)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Would rather have a 10.5 with A2 than a 7.5 with KFH.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Just FYI man, I finally got out to the range today with my new BCM 11.5" upper with the DD 10" rail and man-oh-man was it nice!! I really don't think you can go wrong with it at all. VERY nice! Damn good quality and outstanding accuracy too!

Just order the 11.5" upper, a F/A BCM bolt carrier group and some front and rear back up irons and you're ready to rock!

My friend recently purchased a 7.5" upper. It was really fun to shoot and all (****ing loud!), but I would ONLY purchase a 7.5" SBR if I ALREADY had one or two other SBRs (and I just might in the future), as the 7.5" is just not as practical, useful, effective or reliable as the other longer length barrels (as others have stated millions of times on this forum).

This is all just my opinion however, you are completely free to buy whatever you'd like, as it's your $$$ not mine!

But seriously brother, do yourself a huge favor and just buy a 10.5" LMT or 11.5" BCM or Colt.
    Last edited by RetreatHell; 07-03-09 at 22:13.

Feedback Score
    RyanB: I would rather have a 7.5" with a Smith Vortex then a 7.5" with a KFH. I had a Noveske KFH on my 7.5" for a couple of years and while it does direct the concussive blast forward you still get a big fireball. I now run a Smith Vortex and it has absolutely zero fireball in daylight and has eliminated the same fireball by about 98% at night. Concussive blast feels less to the shooter with the Vortex but I certainly wouldn't want to be standing next to, or to the side of the muzzle.

MadDog
    Last edited by MadDog; 07-09-09 at 15:12.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

Same here. I think anything shorter than 10.5 in 5.56 is silly nonsense. I really don't even like going as short as 10.5. I'm an 11.5 fan.

Anyone tried the Norma 55g lead tip? No problems of "fragmentation" this mommy will keep it all together ... and just will tear the sh*t out of your target!
    “The world is a dangerous place. Not because of the people who are evil; but because of the people who don't do anything about it.” ~ Albert Einstein 1879-1955
    http://www.isaacademy.com | http://www.intersec.org | http://www.facebook.com/leostrand

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast