• TRIANGLE for rifle only

1 16.67%
  • TRIANGLE for BOTH rifle and pistol

0 0%
  • DOT for RIFLE, TRIANGLE for PISTOL

0 0%
  • TRIANGLE for PISTOL, DOT for RIFLE

0 0%

Thread: RMR/Deltapoint Type Optics- Dot Vs Triangle?

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

RMR/Deltapoint Type Optics- Dot Vs Triangle?

There was some brief but rather inconclusive discussion I found on this a few years back, and as the use of RMR-type optics has exploded over recent years, I'm curious to see what people think.

Do you find the dot or triangle more useful?
    My thoughts being, most of these optics have larger than 2MOA dots, which is going to obscure a target at distance more anyway.
    A 7+ MOA triangle is...seemingly uselessly huge, BUT would zeroing on the tip of the triangle make it useful for more precise work (like a no-zoom TR-24)?

I'm curious as to what people think for both pistol use, as well as PCC/SBR/AR-pistol use....

Do flesh out your poll choices in the thread here, I'm sure we're all interested in hearing more in-depth reasonings on either choice.

Edit- poll got a little long as I forgot it could be multi-choice. Whatev.
    Last edited by Jellybean; 04-03-18 at 19:19.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    So, my Wife's cousin, whom is the most likeminded-colt-owning-sumbitch I know, just picked up an RMR for his .22 Target pistol.

He said on a HD Glock, or the like, it would be the bees knees. But on the .22 Precision Pistol, it didn't do him any good on competition when the triangle was so huge at arms extended length.

He, and I, loved the small triangle on the rifle. I would love something like that, but refuse to invest so much on a micro sight that would have issues with even folded sights.

This, of course, is specifically discussing the lens effect where the Triangle grows huge at an arms length, but at only a few inches away, it's a very small triangle. When I got to use it, it was sighted in well and held itself. Very crisp reticle, no matter what distance I viewed it. Really enjoyed the tritium and light gathering model he had.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 04-03-18 at 13:55.

Feedback Score
    I've used the old trijicon reflex sight with an amber triangle on an AR and I find that useful because I can zero the tip at 50 easily and use the bottom of the triangle for a man size 300 yd hold. I've never used the triangle on a pistol, I've glanced through them but not actually shot with them. I feel that a triangle would be best served on a rifle where you can use that finer point in a steady position.