Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 Months with a 1911

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Thanks! It is a special pistol to me. When I was a kid my dad carried it doing UC work. It was stock then. 9 years ago I got it as a wedding present. Instructions were given to wear it out.(I doubt I ever will but I think the intention was for me to get good with it.) Everything on it was done by me with the exception of the Novak milling. It’s my USPSA Single stack rig. There is nothing that brings back memories of learning to shoot like a well worn 1911. One of my shooting mentors had a 1911 Colt that had countless rounds through it; starting when he was a kid. I’m not sure if any of the parts on it were still original when he died but it represented a life’s work of shooting. He was military and LE. If I ever cross paths with one of his kids I’d love to see that old pistol.
    Is the grip safety taped down or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

Feedback Score
    Yes it is. It’s strictly a game thing. A lot of guys pin them. I can freeze it up occasionally if there is an array of really close targets and I’m running the gun flat out. (High grip/not meaty hands.) Once I get a chance I will fit a new one that is more pronounced. Again I wouldn’t recommend that in any other situation. I like for now being able to take it off if I’m doing anything else.

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Yes it is. It’s strictly a game thing. A lot of guys pin them. I can freeze it up occasionally if there is an array of really close targets and I’m running the gun flat out. (High grip/not meaty hands.) Once I get a chance I will fit a new one that is more pronounced. Again I wouldn’t recommend that in any other situation. I like for now being able to take it off if I’m doing anything else.
    I thought so. I noticed it didn’t look like it had a memory bump like your lightweight. Certainly makes it harder to consistently get that safety depressed without one.

Feedback Score
    Up to 757rds. I ran 30rds Chronographing new loads for USPSA; the other 70 were random old reloads.
    No malfunctions. 15 rds through the Commander, 85 through the Government. One thing of note yesterday
    was that I was shooting low like it was my job. With loads at factory power and new loads. I’m guessing it was a bit of a flinch caused by slow firing over the chrono in 18degree temps(spring feels like it’s a long way off!)

My USPSA loads are using 230gr Black Bullets with Clays powder:

3.5grs: Avg Vel-628fps out of the 5”(oddly enough this load cycled both the GOVT and Commander.)
    3.7grs: Avg Vel-678fps out of the 5”(cycles both guns)
    3.9grs: Avg Vel-728fps out of the 5”(168pf consistently) I’m hoping this will run around 172PF in not stupid weather.

All of these loads were crazy soft.

Feedback Score
    813rds: Shot a local weekly USPSA match last Tuesday. It’s a quick 3 stage indoor league with 2 small stages and 1 large one. I used my Govt model and fired 56 shots. I had a failure to feed on the second round of the night. It was probably User error. I shot Limited 10 and took a CMC RPM 10rd out of the package and loaded it full on a closed slide. Either I failed to seat the mag or the light load combined with the top round pressure caused a failure to feed. Being in a match I just cleared it without much diagnosis. I had 5 mag changes on the clock and all of them were fast and bobble free. That is one thing I am noticeably improving on during this exercise. The other is shooting targets clean. Without the 21 round limited gun I am making hits much more effectively with less waste.

The above images are from a classifier type stage involving a barrel start, 3 targets(one hard cover) and a mandatory reload. 2rounds on each target freestyle; reload; 2 rounds each target strong hand. One thing that is abundantly clear is it is much easier for me to shoot this gun one handed than a Glock. Mostly due to trigger and partly due to the grip angle. I got 7th out of 36 on this stage and 13th overall. Considering 80% of the shooters were running open, PCc, and limited
    I was pretty pleased.

Running this same match again tomorrow. Saturday is a monthly 7 stage match. Stand by for updates.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    OP, I have 40 years experience shooting, loading for, and packing 1911s. A few observations:

1. Magazines are important. I have good luck with the Wilson ones with the nylon follower. Those perform flawlessly and I use them for carry mags. I have a half-dozen $7 gun-show special GI type for the range. If I have a problem, I can throw the mag away.

2. You can save money using lead bullets for practice. Use a hard cast 230 grain round nose over 5 grains of bullseye. It's a nice stout load and will duplicate the GI hardball load. A tight sizing die and a very slight taper crimp ensure reliable operation with no bullet setback. I use a 4-die set for this purpose.

3. .45 is really easy to load for, because the fat cases and bullets are easy to handle. I rely on 9mm for protection, but my .45s are my range toys.

4. Don't try to hop-up the .45. It's a low-pressure cartridge and the stock chamber may not be fully supported. Duplicate the factory loading only.

5. Generous lubrication on the locking lugs, link, and frame rails (I use Breakfree LP). Light lube everywhere else. DO NOT omit to put a drop of CLP in the little tube that holds the detent springs for the slide stop and the thumb safety.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12