Thread: Pleasantly surprised by Colt6920 + cheap bullets.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Pleasantly surprised by Colt6920 + cheap bullets.

Thought I would share this load in case anyone wants to reproduce it.

Gun:
    Colt 6920 + trijicon accupower

Load:
    -Wolf gold brass trimmed to 1.752, headspaced near min Sammi spec.
    -CCI 450 primer
    -26.8gr CFE223
    -Hornady 55gr varmint soft point
    -C.O.A.L 2.20
    -Light taper crimp

This is by no means a professional review, just thought I'd share a combo that worked surprisingly well, and I honestly did not think my gun or these bullets we're capable of this accuracy.

I had a few pounds of CFE223 laying around, I never liked this powder because it has always shot really dirty for me. Tons of fluffy carbon, absolutely filthy. I much prefer cleaner burning powders.
    So I thought I would use some of it up with some cheap Hornady soft points for range fodder, and blasting rabbits with. I did not expect anything better than 2moa, and I was really just loading this stuff to get rid of this powder as a cheap blasting load. I didn't work up a load at all, I just threw together a load I knew would cycle my gun and be safe to shoot.

I shot several 5 shot groups like this at the end of the day, and was very surprised as they were shooting sub 1". I was also very surprised that these soft points shot so well out of an autoloader. My only complaint is these shot 2" high and left of the poi that most of my other loads shoot.
    Great cheap load.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thx, appreciate the info. I just had loaded up a test ladder of CFE and Hornady 55 SP from 26.7 - 27.5 gr. Anxious to see how this shoots now!

In previous testing of other bullets CFE seems very similar to BL-C2 which I like a lot, and seems to do best at near max loads.

Also, testing with other powders I too was surprised at the accuracy possible with the Hornady 55 gr SP bullets. Now my favorite on the cheaper end.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56 Bonded SP View Post

Gun:

Load:
    -CCI 450 primer
    -26.8gr CFE223
    -C.O.A.L 2.20
    -Light taper crimp

This is by no means a professional review, just thought I'd share a combo that worked surprisingly well, and I honestly did not think my gun or these bullets we're capable of this accuracy.

I had a few pounds of CFE223 laying around, I never liked this powder because it has always shot really dirty for me. Tons of fluffy carbon, absolutely filthy. I much prefer cleaner burning powders.
    So I thought I would use some of it up with some cheap Hornady soft points for range fodder, and blasting rabbits with. I did not expect anything better than 2moa, and I was really just loading this stuff to get rid of this powder as a cheap blasting load. I didn't work up a load at all, I just threw together a load I knew would cycle my gun and be safe to shoot.

I shot several 5 shot groups like this at the end of the day, and was very surprised as they were shooting sub 1". I was also very surprised that these soft points shot so well out of an autoloader. My only complaint is these shot 2" high and left of the poi that most of my other loads shoot.

Great cheap load.

Sounds like a solid load.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    Thx, appreciate the info. I just had loaded up a test ladder of CFE and Hornady 55 SP from 26.7 - 27.5 gr. Anxious to see how this shoots now!

In previous testing of other bullets CFE seems very similar to BL-C2 which I like a lot, and seems to do best at near max loads.

Also, testing with other powders I too was surprised at the accuracy possible with the Hornady 55 gr SP bullets. Now my favorite on the cheaper end.

Those bullets surprised the hell out of me, they are very good. I was thinking it had to be a fluke, but I had repeated great results. I still can't believe they shot so well.

Worth note, my Colt6920 is free floated, it's just a stock Colt Trooper, with a 1-4 accupower on it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I don't reload but have found that Hornady 55 grain TAP (which is essentially their varmint round I believe) shoots cloverleafs out of my Colt 6721. Hornady makes very accurate stuff, it is all I shoot out of my .270.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think the 55 TAP uses the VMax, right? Another excellent bullet. In fact, even their 55 gr FMJ is pretty decent. I quit buying anything in 55 except Hornady. Darn good prices in bulk and way better than most of the same weight in accuracy unless you pay 50% more.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56 Bonded SP View Post

Gun:

Load:
    -CCI 450 primer
    -26.8gr CFE223
    -C.O.A.L 2.20
    -Light taper crimp

Great cheap load.

Thank you for sharing. Two observations:

CFE223, Alliant 2000mr, and their military variant SMP842 like to be run at high charges and pressure. In addition to .223, they can give exceptional velocity in heavy 7.62 loads. 2000mr is the slowest blend by a hair and can't be beat for speed in .308.

Colt barrels are often really good. Looking at new ones on a bore scope, they look a lot cleaner than most CL duty barrels and a lot of the less expensive 'match' SS barrels and often have ports cut in between the lands.

Feedback Score
    I’ve had very nice results with CFE223. Carbon fouling is not really a deal breaker. 27.0gr under a Hornady 55gr FMJ and a CCI primer with a light taper crimp is also a nice load.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have to chime in and say that I have had excellent accuracy in every AR I have shot them with the Hornady 55 SP. Remarkable for how cheap they are.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mic2377 View Post
    I have to chime in and say that I have had excellent accuracy in every AR I have shot them with the Hornady 55 SP. Remarkable for how cheap they are.
    Also yes. Love these as cheap blasting bullets that also shoot well. You'll often find the 6000ct boxes discounted. The only downside is they will dump velocity pretty fast at range.